Spring in PNW

2:56 p.m. on May 9, 2019 (EDT)
24 reviewer rep
14 forum posts

Looking for a 1-2 night excursion in the Pacific Northwest. I'm a recent transplant to Portland, and I have a good friend from back East coming in to stay a few days with me. I'd love to find some remote wilderness that's accessible in May for some backpacking/camping. Anywhere in Oregon, Washington, or lower BC, would be fine. Would love some suggestions.

Thanks!

Adam

4:12 p.m. on May 9, 2019 (EDT)
57 reviewer rep
80 forum posts

Any of the lower rivers that head into Olympic National Park have lots of beautiful spots accessible ... year round, really. If by "remote" you mean "fewer people", check out the Solduc or the Duckabush rivers.

I hear there are nice spots on Mt. Hood below Spring snow line, but I have no specific recommendations because I'm still discovering that area myself.

And I haven't been to the Rogue River down south either, but it's famous for being great hiking when everything else around here is covered in snow.

9:53 a.m. on May 10, 2019 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
3,833 forum posts

Hi Adam. If you only have 1-2 nights, no need to travel far in the PNW.  Hit the old logging roads and wander around. 

July 18, 2019
Quick Reply