February to November 2020 Bike Tour

10:06 a.m. on November 22, 2019 (EST)
244 reviewer rep
5,400 forum posts

I am back in my winter home of Tucson, AZ. Been here since mid-October, I was in Flagstaff from early August to mid-October and worked in Zion Nat Park in June/July. 

I ride my newest bicycle now a Fat Boy Raleigh 27 speed mountain bike.

73272575_2438791799568487_6746220215475896320_o.jpg
I bought it in Flagstaff in early August. Below is what it looked like when I had it loaded to tour, I lived on it from August in Flagstaff till late October here in Tucson, until I moved into my new place here. I rent a room in southeast Tucson near Saguaro Nat Park East.

IMG_20191024_151954.jpg
In midlate February I am leaving Tucson heading down to Tombstone, and southeastern Arizona, then to and across New Mexico, Texas, down to Brownsville to the mouth of the Rio Grande. Then along the Gulf Coast to see a friend near Corpus Christi. Then northeast to where I went to high school in Hope, AR. Then east to Greenville MS and up the Mississippi River to its headwaters in northern Minnesota and to Portage on the Canadian border and maybe ferry to Isle Royal. Then back down along Lake Superior and around to the Upper Peninsula and down thru Michigan, then around thru to the grain country  of the mideast to New York state to my birth home of Sodus, on Lake Ontario, then perhaps on to Maine. Then maybe back to the west to Wyoming and Washington and down thru California and back to Arizona by next November.

Possible-bike-route-2020.png
This map show my initial route to upper Michigan from Tucson.

12:16 p.m. on November 22, 2019 (EST)
447 reviewer rep
314 forum posts

Sodus isn't far from where I grew up.

3:27 p.m. on November 22, 2019 (EST)
125 reviewer rep
3,438 forum posts

As I age, those fat tires are looking better.  So are you going boutique on us, Gary?  Where are your 5 gal bucket panniers?  

Ed

10:24 p.m. on November 22, 2019 (EST)
244 reviewer rep
5,400 forum posts

Old Guide said Sodus is n't that far from where he grew up. Where'd you grow up? I was born in Sodus in Jan 1956, my father retired in 1972 and we moved to Hope, Arkansas, when I was 16. Our house and land was 2 miles aoutside Sodus between there and Sodus Point near Lake Ontario. The land had been in our family 300 years since the late 1700's. My grandfather from that time married an Mohawk woman. Originally for mst of that 300 years  we had fruit orchards of apples, cherries and peaches, but my grandfather sold the orchards to another local farmer and we stayed on the 4 acre place where I was born and raised. WE grew all our own vegetables and had free pickings of the fruit trees. We raised poutry. Even our house was self suffient. WE had a cistern in the basement that caught rain and snow melt from the roof, and a deep hand dug well in the back woods my father and grand father dug in the 40's. There was a hand pump in the back yard and a hand pump in the original kitchen in the back of the house. We had a outhouse and no electric plumbing in the house till I was 12. My mother cooked on a woodstove. When I was 12 daddy refurnished the house with electric lights,an oil furnice and a modern kitchen. But our sewage went into the ditch by the street and garden. Before the oil furnace we heated with kerosene  heaters one in each room of the house.

whomeworry said: Where are my 5 gallon buckets? I sold them a few years ago. I have some old panniers I bought for my second bike tour in 1983-84 when I rode 7000 miles, my longest  tour to date. This trip will be at least 10,000+ 

I bought the fat bike as my second, I had a Fat Trek Cruiser for a year but sold it last winter and then bought this  bike last fall in Flagstaff. I like the floatation, it rides well on most any surface. Here in Tucson I rdie 30-50 miles  every day staying in shape for my tour next spring. Today I rode 41.2 miles.

41-mile-bike-ride-Nov-22-2019-.png
I live near the red dot in the lower corner, the SE side of Tucson near Saguaro Nat Park East. The diagonal line from home to NW Tucson is  part of the Loop Bike path that goes all the way around the city and is 130 miles long.

8:52 a.m. on November 23, 2019 (EST)
447 reviewer rep
314 forum posts

Gary, I grew up in and around Rochester and apologize for not putting that in my previous post. I'm 3hrs south now se of Binghamton.

A very distant Grandmother of mine was the Mohawk, 'Ots Toch' [the wild one] but this dates back to Champlain's days and his interpreter Jacques Hertel.

You grew up as my Mother did in SW Virginia, well water, no electricity, they plowed by hand as the land was so steep, etc. 

3:18 p.m. on November 28, 2019 (EST)
374 reviewer rep
24 forum posts

Hi Gary, you are a real inspiration to us all (especially old farts like me) roll on and live your dream but don't forget to let us know how you get on. (May your ride never encounter "Againsterlies")

9:45 p.m. on November 29, 2019 (EST)
244 reviewer rep
5,400 forum posts

I am now considering leaving in January instead of midlate February. I have been retired two years in January and want to start living free on my bike. Plan to go farther south to the Santa Rita Mountains, Tombstone, Bisbee, Douglas, the Chiricahua Mountains then into New Mexico and on...

9:46 p.m. on November 29, 2019 (EST)
244 reviewer rep
5,400 forum posts

I am now considering leaving in January instead of midlate February. I have been retired two years in January and want to start living free on my bike. Plan to go farther south to the Santa Rita Mountains, Tombstone, Bisbee, Douglas, the Chiricahua Mountains then into New Mexico and on...

4:18 p.m. on November 30, 2019 (EST)
374 reviewer rep
24 forum posts

Hi Gary, retirement is just an excuse for growing old disgracefully! 

10:40 a.m. on December 1, 2019 (EST)
244 reviewer rep
5,400 forum posts

Aprox-route-tour-2020-Jan-to-Nov-.png
My proposed route. Will evolve as I ride it. Tucson is start/end red spot.

December 7, 2019
Quick Reply