2020 Goals?

9:35 a.m. on January 21, 2020 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
4,083 reviewer rep
1,552 forum posts

Looking forward to a great 2020 - started off well with a short, cold, and wet trip last weekend and another one coming up at the end of the week, with a couple of nights this week camping at a park (business travel - I hate hotels!).

I always try to set goals each year, so trail time has a high priority and doesn't get overwhelmed by work and other requirements of life.  Last year was a disaster: recovering from a broken wrist, losing my father, and dealing with a longer term health issue that seems to finally have settled into an equilibrium resulted in only a handful of trips (4) with a pack on and limited trail mileage (100+).  So this year I am going with a monthly trip, at least 365 miles of backpacking (not including day hiking etc), and a couple of major trips (Spain and southwest). Goals may be achieved or may not, but I like the year to start glass half full (of Scotch!).

What about you all?  Set any goals for the year?

10:17 a.m. on January 21, 2020 (EST)
273 reviewer rep
1,962 forum posts

Right now my left leg isn't in the joint so I am trying to get healthy with Physical therapy...If that works then Ill be doing short weekends to get milage this year and nurse the leg.Right now nothing till they give me the green light...

11:02 a.m. on January 21, 2020 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
9,709 reviewer rep
1,577 forum posts

Can't set confirmed goals currently due to life so I am focused on unfocused goals :p The idea is to train hard now despite the lack of specific plans so when the time comes I'm already up to speed. Almost daily snowshoe hikes with the Limmer Standards on my feet will make the feet feel springy and light once the snow is gone. Amazing what carrying 10lbs or so on your feet all Winter will do for your conditioning ;)

Have one 13°f night in the hammock so far. Was packed and loaded for a few nights in the Mahoosucs, but bailed at the last minute due to what we like to call blustery conditions heh. Would have been below zero windchill for the entire three day trip which just didn't sound that much fun.

1:40 p.m. on January 21, 2020 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
259 forum posts

Good to see everyone is working on your recovery.

Four years ago my right hip tendons developed some intense inflammation from being too tight and snapping against other tendons and bones. I could hardly walk. After research I concluded it was all five major tendons. It took me a year to learn how to stretch them and another to do it better. In another year I finalized a perfect routine of stretch and finally got the iliotibial band to stretch out a bit and now all are stretched and supple. They will never be 20 years old again but we are back to several very tough day hikes a week with hard climbs and some rugged offtrail with some e of my favorite challenges, pinpoint navigation. 

I built upon that last year and finally did a hike I thought I’d never do again. Now I’m going to try to maintain and somewhat expand upon it. Last year we moved right next to wilderness to do this and it has worked beyond my expectations. Part of the move was due to my faltering eyesight and shortly after that move I could not pass he eye exam and no longer have a license. I knew that was coming and didn’t want to waste away in the middle of the city. Now we can be in very wild and seriously rugged mountain country in mere minutes by foot. I feel a lot younger than I did for the previous three years and intend to keep that progressing. 

6:24 p.m. on January 21, 2020 (EST)
125 reviewer rep
3,521 forum posts

It ain't over yet, but I can hear the fat lady warming up her pipes for the swan song.

My health continues to decline; had another (3rd) coronary event, just two weeks ago.  Surviving the year is the plan for 2020; live to see my daughter graduate from dental school in 2022 is the prime objective.  Everything else is gravy!

My vitality has degraded over the last two years, from backpacking over 11K' and bagging 14K' peaks with my daughter, to getting winded just climbing a flight of stairs.  I am taking enough nitroglycerin and other meds to be a walking bomb.  Things are starting to get tough.  Not sure what I have left in the tank at this point, so cannot determine how ambitious I can be, regarding future backpack trips.  That said, I think I can still pack into Joshua Tree NP.  I've been doing that twice annually for over 40 years, every spring and fall.  My favorite Josh camp requires gaining 150' over three miles, starting from 4000' - anyone who can fog a mirror can do that!  Ventures to higher elevations or steeper trails will have to wait a few months until I know what capacities I can still rely on. 

Sorry Bill S, but you'll have to find someone else for those treks to the Andes and the South Pole. 

Ed  

7:09 p.m. on January 21, 2020 (EST)
447 reviewer rep
425 forum posts

First I hope ALL of you who have health problems don't get worse and/or heal. Me? Well since life, age and being a caregiver of wife limit me a great deal I still hope to get some snowshoeing in around here, hard to do without much snow, and making a few trips back to the ADK's for hikes and maybe some camping and would prefer to do some of that with one of the  young men I mentored and/or with anyone of my grandkids.

8:09 p.m. on January 21, 2020 (EST)
107 reviewer rep
527 forum posts

Just to get back out on the trail. Job tied me up so much the last 2 years working way too many hours that it sta affecting my health also. however I just switched to a less important job and now I’m in a better position with no more on call all night long ( halaluya) plus weekends free. 

ive been getting the itch real bad for some trail time since it started getting cold. 

see y’all out there!

8:11 p.m. on January 21, 2020 (EST)
107 reviewer rep
527 forum posts

Phil ,Denis & Ed

fellas prays y’all get well soon!

9:22 p.m. on January 22, 2020 (EST)
4,083 reviewer rep
1,552 forum posts

My thoughts are with all of you going through medical issues or caring for others, and especially Ed. I hope you get some time outdoors in this year in some capacity. My health issues are fleeting and on the mend and I hope yours all resolve as best they can. 

No offense or lack of compassion is meant to anyone...i joke in the wrong circumstances all the time just to keep things light and people smiling...but reading this thread reminded me of the scene from Jaws when they are sitting at the table comparing scars...

6:58 a.m. on January 23, 2020 (EST)
125 reviewer rep
3,521 forum posts

You know, Phil, mixed metaphors will drive one to mixed drinks.  But if you should drive me to drink, I'll gladly pay for the gas and your rounds.

Now back to boating, boozing, and BS sessions.

Why I remember the spring of 84, we were camped in the Sierra above Bishop, at the campgrounds below the North Lake, when the dam burst...

Ed

9:15 a.m. on January 23, 2020 (EST)
447 reviewer rep
425 forum posts

1884 or 1984?

;)

9:32 a.m. on January 23, 2020 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
3,278 reviewer rep
2,296 forum posts

Yeah last year was a reduced year for me as well but luckily not for health reasons. I typically spend most free time in the back-country (30-40 short trips per year, usually hitting around 1000 miles or so) but we moved and sold a house and mostly prepared another house for selling, rearranged some finances and investments, all of which was way more complicated and difficult than I imagined. I didn't keep good records last year like I normally do but I think I still managed somewhere between 25-28 trips and covered maybe 600 miles or so. Highlights were several wonderful off-trail excursions in my local Smoky Mountains thrown in with a Colorado trip with Susan and a week long solo to Zion NP. 

My journey continues to find a way to not work so much and be out even more. Doing the full-time trail-life thing is not in the cards for me right now, but I hope to find a way to at least take extended long breaks from work (preferably between 1-3 months) so I can do some truly fulfilling adventures.

I haven't decided what to work towards for a "big trip" this year yet but here is my short list of possible targets in no particular order:

• Hiking / pack-rafting into Gates of the Arctic NP, Alaska ($$$$)
  • Sierra High Route, California
  • High Unitas Trail, Utah
  • Colorado Trail section, Colorado (and hopefully bag some more 14ers)
  • Hayduke Trail section (Utah/ Arizona)
  • A trek somewhere in the Pacific Northwest (Cascades?, Olympics? Colombias?)

Phil,

Give me a shout if you want to meet somewhere in North Carolina or Virginia again this year. I don't think I've been back to Shining Rock since we last pulled a trip there.

9:33 a.m. on January 24, 2020 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

Hello, I'm looking to do a 7 day JMT hike.  Would prefer to enter at Tuolumne Meadows and exit somewhere in the area of Mono Creek/Quail Meadows to Seldon Pass.  Is there a exit trail. in the area?  Or I'll just do Red's Meadows to LeConte Canyon and exit at Bishop Pass/South Lake.  Ideas?

1:14 p.m. on January 24, 2020 (EST)
244 reviewer rep
5,429 forum posts

I plan to live on my bicycle, my fat boy. In a week at the end of the month I am moving out of my rented room here in Tucson, then will live in the desert south of downtown Tucson. The Rock and Gem Show starts the 31st of January and ends the 16th of February. A friend who has wintered in Sedona AZ is coming down and we will maybe work the show helping unload and set up show exhibits, and cycle around the the various shows. And camp in the desert nearby.

Then in mid/late February we or I will head southeast on the beginning of my 2020 bikepacking tour of the western USA.

2019 Rock and Gem show
My-Fat-Bike-loaded-for-touring.jpg
My Raliegh Pardner Fat Bike

Map-showing-main-town-stops-along-the-first-weeks-riding-.png
My first week+ route in late february

2:36 p.m. on January 24, 2020 (EST)
447 reviewer rep
425 forum posts

Gary, do you have any health insurance? You can  ignore this of course, no problem.

5:36 p.m. on January 24, 2020 (EST)
125 reviewer rep
3,521 forum posts

Troy Marmaduke said:

Hello, I'm looking to do a 7 day JMT hike.  Would prefer to enter at Tuolumne Meadows and exit somewhere in the area of Mono Creek/Quail Meadows to Seldon Pass.  Is there a exit trail. in the area?  Or I'll just do Red's Meadows to LeConte Canyon and exit at Bishop Pass/South Lake.  Ideas?

Lake Thomas Edison is about a mile south of Quail Meadows.  Vermilion Valley Resort, located at the other end of the lake, is often used as a restocking point for the JMT.  One can take the six mile trail along the north shore of Edison to the resort, near the north end of the dam, or purchase a boat ferry ride from the resort.  The resort kitchen has a great post hike menu.  Be sure to try their pies, they among the best I've sampled anywhere.  Beware the road to Edison from Fresno is a two hour mountain drive.  The portion of this road above Huntington Lake is a long, narrow, crudely paved, bumpy, very twisty, route, with some exposure that will freak those who have problems with heights.  I have friends who refuse to hike out of Edison for these reasons.  (babies!)   

I prefer your second option, because I adore the Evolution Valley to Dusy Basin section of the JMT for its superlative scenery.

Ed

11:44 a.m. on January 25, 2020 (EST)
244 reviewer rep
5,429 forum posts

I use the VA

8:27 p.m. on January 25, 2020 (EST)
73 reviewer rep
4,071 forum posts

My only goal is more nights in a sleeping bag. 

1:42 p.m. on January 26, 2020 (EST)
4,083 reviewer rep
1,552 forum posts

I love Patrick's definition of an off year! 

I had to stay close to home this weekend Patrick but I messaged you about my potential whereabouts coming up. Next weekend looks fun...rain and ice and snow. Should keep most folks at home. 

1:36 p.m. on January 28, 2020 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

Thank you Ed, being we only have 7 days I'll look for The Evolution Basin and beyond down the road.  I think it would need more time the more I look at it.  There looks to be a pack trail from Rock Creek Lake that is about 14 miles that hits JMT just above Lake T. A. Edison.  I think we'll start there and hike North to Tuolumne. 

Troy

10:04 p.m. on January 28, 2020 (EST)
125 reviewer rep
3,521 forum posts

Troy Marmaduke said:

Thank you Ed, being we only have 7 days I'll look for The Evolution Basin and beyond down the road.  I think it would need more time the more I look at it.  There looks to be a pack trail from Rock Creek Lake that is about 14 miles that hits JMT just above Lake T. A. Edison.  I think we'll start there and hike North to Tuolumne. 

Troy

FYI:  Approaching the JMT from Rock Creek is at least a 2 day task, unless you are one of those dawn to dust ultra ULers, who pack 20+ mile/day. 

Ed

11:48 a.m. on January 30, 2020 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

We've done many 10 to 14 mile days, this looks to be 14 miles and the elevation of Rock Creek Lake is over 9700 feet.  So the elevation gain/loss seems to be minimal.

Troy

2:24 p.m. on January 30, 2020 (EST)
297 reviewer rep
34 forum posts

I have 3 goals for 2020 that I think are totally doable for me:

1. Transition to tarp + bivy camping when I'm out on solo trips. I have a couple items coming from China that might fit the bill for me, will review them more fully when they arrive and I have some weather ti test them out in. 

2. Take my kids hiking more, including the both of them (ages 7 & 9) on an overnight backpacking trip. I let the weather and a busy travel schedule get in the way last summer. Not this year!

3. Hike the West Coast Trail! This is a bucket-list goal for me, and I'm well on my way to achieving it as I have my spot and flights booked for a late June week spent on trail. This is also why I'm looking at transitioning to a tarp to try and lighten my pack up a bit, since this turned into a solo trip as opposed to the partnered trip I had envisioned it to be. 

7:05 a.m. on January 31, 2020 (EST)
4,083 reviewer rep
1,552 forum posts

Great goals. I did a lot less miles and trips when my kids were that age but don't regret a minute of it now they are out on their own. 

2:03 p.m. on February 3, 2020 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
204 forum posts

Our days of backpacking are probably over. We still have our backpacking gear in Tn but it is only cold wear gear. After being in Mexico it doesn't take much to make us cold. 

We will probably do car camping instead of backpacking but you never know what may happen.  

9:40 a.m. on February 4, 2020 (EST)
82 reviewer rep
492 forum posts

1) Replace right hip joint 9Mar 18).

2) Recover and resume field work

3) Enjoy life

5:58 p.m. on February 5, 2020 (EST)
244 reviewer rep
5,429 forum posts

Live my 64th year, bike and back packing. I have been living again on my fat bike 8 days in the desert near Tucson AZ, waiting for it to warm again then heading to southeast AZ to the Santa Rita Foothills, Sonoita, Tombstone, Bisbee, Douglas, the into the Chirichaua's (?), then into New Mexico at Rodeo, then Lordsburg, Silver City, the Gila Wilderness, Reserve N.M. back into AZ at Alpine, Strawberry, Meteor Crater, Flagstaff, Williams, then maybe the train to the Grand Canyon, then Cameron, Tuba City and the dinosaur tracks, Lees Ferry, Fredonia, Kanab, Colrado City, last places are maybes.

Plan to live on my bike for transport and do day hikes in desert and alpine country along the way, want to see Zion again ( I worked there last July/August then  will you understand I plan to live on my bike till October/November  and be back in Utah or southern AZ again in the winter. 

3:10 p.m. on February 8, 2020 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
12,294 reviewer rep
1,413 forum posts

I've been out of the loop for a while. The last couple years have focused on running, because it's easy to fit in a training run before or after work. 2019 I ran a half-marathon every month. But now I'm in a new career/job, which gives me more weekends off. I want to focus more on the outdoors. 

My first goal for 2020 is to thru-hike all 162 miles of the River-2-River Trail in Shawnee NF in 8-days. I also want to do at least 1 weekend trip every month starting in March. I need to accrue more vacation time for bigger/longer goals. 

9:12 a.m. on February 9, 2020 (EST)
4,083 reviewer rep
1,552 forum posts

Goose is back! Glad you have time to get out on the trail this year. I'm planning monthly trips as well...so far so good, two logged already and planning a third this month. Got to get some winter trips in before spring comes along, although the winter has been disappointing down here...daffodils and cherry trees have been fooled and starting to bloom. 

April 4, 2020
Quick Reply