Ready to Go

7:18 p.m. on March 15, 2020 (EDT)
g00se
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
12,465 reviewer rep
1,433 forum posts

I started working for the state of Illinois last October as a cubical monkey. First the governor banned all assemblies over 1,000. Then he closed schools. Then he ordered all bars and restaurants to close. 

Sensing the handwriting on the wall, yesterday, instead of panic-buying toilet paper, I went and got a 14-day supply of backpacking food, and I've been dehydrating meals all day. 

An hour ago the governor announced that "soon" he will have orders for all "non-essential" employees to stay home. 

If he tells me to stay home 1 week, I can be on the final 100-mile section of the Ozark Trail the same day. 

If he tells me 2 weeks, I plan to thru-hike all 223  miles of the Ouachita Trail in Oklahoma-Arkansas. 

And if he tells me I'm "essential" (yeah, right), I have enough meals for a bunch of weekends in Shawnee NF this spring. 

I'm not making light of this disease, but I'm not going to sit at home waiting for the world to end. 

7:54 p.m. on March 15, 2020 (EDT)
FlipNC
4,360 reviewer rep
1,607 forum posts

Nice going Goose. The frenzy may be worse than the actual virus, unless you happen to be in contact with someone in the sensitive population. We are behaving ourselves according to guidelines, but living our lives without fear or panic

I wish I was non essential to my firm...Id join you in a heartbeat. Went out this morning to grab a few things from the store for a backpacking trip at the end of the week...stood in line with two folks with tons of TP and disinfectant. I wish they would change express isle to something else and let us go through that one. Sigh. 

9:06 a.m. on March 16, 2020 (EDT)
BigRed
6,632 reviewer rep
1,206 forum posts

My wife and I have planned a 1 week hut-to-hut trip for the week after next. I have seven days worth of food pretty much ready to go. Problem is, the Norwegian government is discouraging people from going to huts/cabins or even mountain day trips fearing that it may trigger rescues or overload services in areas that aren't equipped to handle them. They really want everyone to stay put. So we're debating what we're going to do about that. There a some huts that are just a short ski in from a trailhead so we could get out easily, maybe just hole up for a night or two as long as we're pretty sure we haven't been exposed. She has asthma, a risk factor, but I'm very healthy so I figure I'll be more in the mild symptoms group if I get it.

I haven't had any real contact with anyone except my wife for over five days -- 30 minutes at the supermarket on Friday, and I've passed a lot of people out on the xc ski trails, greeted the neighbors in passing but that's about it. I just hope this isn't some new normal.

9:58 a.m. on March 16, 2020 (EDT)
Patman
REVIEW CORPS
3,278 reviewer rep
2,311 forum posts

I like it G00se. Good thinking. I do business IT support for a giant food distribution company so if I get sent home (which I will if they send the office folks home), I'll still have to do remote tech support and be on-call to dispatch to the office if hands-on work is required.

Today I'm setting up all my spare equipment for remote access so I can remotely install software or otherwise configure a device for an employee in need, as well as big clear labels on things (like the computer names, spare keyboards, ,mice, mifis, cables , cords, whatever) so folks can find stuff without me there. I can then direct them to self-serve.

Please send me home, even though I can't go hike, it would be so much more enjoyable.....

Last weekend I did an overnight loop on seldom used trails and it was nice. I feel justified in stealth camping in a NP right now. :) 

10:18 a.m. on March 16, 2020 (EDT)
BigRed
6,632 reviewer rep
1,206 forum posts

Are the NPs closed? I was thinking it might be a good time to visit even the front country of some of the A-list parks like Yos and the GC, with the international crowds pretty well thinned out...

10:49 a.m. on March 16, 2020 (EDT)
Patman
REVIEW CORPS
3,278 reviewer rep
2,311 forum posts

Nah not closed, I was just being silly. I'm not a fan of designated camping and sometimes push on those rules in my local parks. What better reason to camp where no-one has before? But you are absolutely right. This would be a good time to hit some of those. 

11:02 a.m. on March 16, 2020 (EDT)
ppine
73 reviewer rep
4,111 forum posts

Now is the perfect time to get outside with all of that fresh air, UV light and sunshine.  Get acquainted with Mother Nature.  It is also a good time to hang around with animals, especially horses and dogs.   No need to stay home and be sad.  Get out there. 

6:41 p.m. on March 16, 2020 (EDT)
LoneStranger
10,075 reviewer rep
1,626 forum posts

My wife asked me the other day if we can just go live in the woods. I had to remind her there is still snow in the mountains and then mud season. Otherwise we'd be there now.

I already had cans of MH stashed for this year's trips then ordered a few more just a couple days before everyone else wiped them out. Just got home from the mountains and can vouch that its too cold out there for now, but if they close school for the year as I'm hearing they might...we'll be in the woods.

9:25 p.m. on March 16, 2020 (EDT)
FlipNC
4,360 reviewer rep
1,607 forum posts

My only problem is I usually buy backpacking food at grocery stores and am concerned there will be a run on some of my usual go to products. I'll figure something out for the next trip...all set up for this weekend. 

Its been a long day of business travel for me LS...so maybe that's why I can't figure out what a "can of MH" is that I would want to haul in a pack? 

6:34 a.m. on March 17, 2020 (EDT)
LoneStranger
10,075 reviewer rep
1,626 forum posts

#10 cans of Mountain House. I buy in bulk to reduce cost and packaging on trail.

I have two cans on the rack that are our true emergency supply year round. They are Beef Stew and Chicken Stew which I decided years ago that I absolutely hate on trail. If we ever get snowed in we can resort to that after we wipe out the freezers.

6:43 a.m. on March 17, 2020 (EDT)
denis daly
273 reviewer rep
1,962 forum posts

Phil possible to try other company's supply of meals for  a trip besides your go to ones.

6:44 a.m. on March 17, 2020 (EDT)
denis daly
273 reviewer rep
1,962 forum posts

Goose iam planning a weekend trip two overnights...Best I can do...Still working

8:22 a.m. on March 17, 2020 (EDT)
FlipNC
4,360 reviewer rep
1,607 forum posts

Hah.  I didn't know MH came in cans...haven't bought theirs in years. I still by a handfull of pre-packaged a year but am tending to making my own up more.

Just went by the store...as long as I don't take milk, bread, or fresh meat, the dried goods were still available.  TP on the other hand...

8:34 a.m. on March 17, 2020 (EDT)
BigRed
6,632 reviewer rep
1,206 forum posts

Plenty of good alternatives to TP out in the nature...

9:32 p.m. on March 17, 2020 (EDT)
g00se
12,465 reviewer rep
1,433 forum posts

Well, the State has designated me as an "essential employee." Good for the ego, but not for two weeks off!

Guess I'll head out on Friday since church is cancelled. 

9:05 a.m. on March 18, 2020 (EDT)
Patman
REVIEW CORPS
3,278 reviewer rep
2,311 forum posts

Yeah my company sent all office workers home except the Prez, VPs and me. after the mad rush of helping everyone get setup to work from home with VPN and softphones and headsets, it should be pretty quiet around here: normally over 100 people , now will be about 7 

9:29 a.m. on March 18, 2020 (EDT)
FlipNC
4,360 reviewer rep
1,607 forum posts

Sorry you guys are "essential"!  My status was unfortunately never in doubt since we only have 7 in the entire company...luckily I work from home most days when not on the road, so business as usual.  I should be on the trail this weekend...not sure where yet as I usually gage that off site visits (if a Friday visit is in the mountains you bet my pack will be in the back of the car). Those are pretty rare for a few weeks so I'll have no early start this week...might head into the Pisgah NF though.  Staying away from major trails and shelters like usual, but even more so this time.  With college going online, I won't be in PA taking a kid back to school like planned...diversion over to the Dolly Sods or Roaring Plains will have to wait for another time.

10:47 a.m. on March 18, 2020 (EDT)
Patman
REVIEW CORPS
3,278 reviewer rep
2,311 forum posts

nice Phil, yeah I plan to head out also this weekend. It will be rain showers around here but warm and little wind:

3-18-2020-10-05-04-AM.png

10:52 a.m. on March 18, 2020 (EDT)
LoneStranger
10,075 reviewer rep
1,626 forum posts

Look at all those opportunities to test in that forecast!! Rain gear, shelters, boots, anti fungals, oh my!

11:04 a.m. on March 18, 2020 (EDT)
Patman
REVIEW CORPS
3,278 reviewer rep
2,311 forum posts

funny LS! yeah you know the only time I've ever gotten fungus was the one and only time I used anti-Monkey butt (or some such) powder on my thighs for a hike. I had been getting some rashes that summer and tried that stuff to mitigate it. It was a disaster. I guess I somehow trapped moisture under that stuff or something.  

11:07 a.m. on March 18, 2020 (EDT)
FlipNC
4,360 reviewer rep
1,607 forum posts

Water won't be an issue that's for sure. Looks like at least weather wise it's starting off as a normal spring down here! 

10:11 p.m. on March 18, 2020 (EDT)
FlipNC
4,360 reviewer rep
1,607 forum posts

Figured out my plan for the weekend...to keep practicing social distancing, going to climb 2000ft in first 2 miles before camping Friday. That should put some distance between me and any sane people...

Hope you all have a safe and peaceful weekend in isolation in the hills or at home. 

8:04 a.m. on March 25, 2020 (EDT)
g00se
12,465 reviewer rep
1,433 forum posts

I'm packed for this weekend. Watching the Ozark Mountain forecast--potential storms. 

6:20 a.m. on March 27, 2020 (EDT)
FlipNC
4,360 reviewer rep
1,607 forum posts

Have a great walk Goose. 

May 27, 2020
Quick Reply