Overseas Outdoor Adventure

12:52 a.m. on April 5, 2014 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
5,441 reviewer rep
604 forum posts

I've been reading lots of great posts lately about folks experiences (especially GaryPalmer), and in most or all of the posts the setting is somewhere in the US. I've learned much about this great country from these posts, but just out of curiosity, does anyone have any good international outdoor adventure stories or places to recommend (Sure, Canada counts!) 

This would be an appropriate time to share photos if you've got them.

8:25 a.m. on April 10, 2014 (EDT)
16 reviewer rep
33 forum posts

Hi KiwiKlimber,

Glad you're enjoying the trip reports on this forum! I've been living (and hiking) in Japan for the past year and a half and have posted several reports. You can click on my profile or just scroll through the main list to find them. I mostly hike in my local area in western Japan, so I don't have any reports of the really "fabulous" routes with the 3000m peaks or anything (although I've done quite a few of these in the past). There are others who have posted hikes from Europe and Canada as well. Check them out!

10:58 a.m. on April 10, 2014 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
4,534 reviewer rep
6,031 forum posts

I don't know what you mean by "good international outdoor adventure stories", but there are a lot of what I consider to be interesting and exciting TRs on here. Bigup79 is too modest - his "Snowy Day in Japan" is excellent, snowshoeing through deep, fresh snow through woods up to a peak in Japan (that's pretty international to me!). Tokyo Bill used to post some interesting reports from his climbs in Japan and Australia (search back in the early 2000's) archives). North1 posted a great TR about his multiweek trek heading south from the Arctic Ocean. I have posted TRs from climbs I did in Peru, Antarctica, Austria, Tanzania, and others that have gathered positive responses. Our Scandinavian members, like Big Red, have posted interesting TRs in the far north. We used to have several Australian and New Zealand members who posted TRs as well that you can find in the older pages. And you can't get any more exciting or international than Giftogab's trek to Everest Base Camp.

There are many many others as well. Just scan down the list and go through the many pages of trip reports on here that go back to 2001, the beginning of Trailspace.

Don't short-change the US trips. There are many great reports around the US as well. Some of the reports are in Backcountry ("RBU") and Climbing ("RCU") as well.

Up to the current frenzy of writing gear reviews for the purpose of winning prizes, Trip Reports, Backcountry, and Climbing were the center of Trailspace, covering all 7 continents.

11:02 a.m. on April 10, 2014 (EDT)
592 reviewer rep
1,523 forum posts

I will be headed to Peru in September....be on the look out for reports...maybe BillS will update from my Spot Connect and blog posts in real time!

3:27 p.m. on April 10, 2014 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
4,534 reviewer rep
6,031 forum posts

GoG - maybe not. Barb and I will be in Switzerland in September with our son. Someone else may have to do it. But when I am in Peru in June/July with the American Climber Science Program, I will have occasional access to wifi (or, as pronounced by the Peruanos, "wee-fee") to give semi-realtime verbiage (won't be able to do photos).

3:41 p.m. on April 11, 2014 (EDT)
189 reviewer rep
192 forum posts

I haven't written a trip report of it but in 2010 I cycled the kjolur route in Iceland, finishing up with a boat ride to Grimsey island.

That. Was. Fun.

If you ever get the chance you guys gotta try this.

10:05 a.m. on April 14, 2014 (EDT)
592 reviewer rep
1,523 forum posts

OK BillS will see if Bill Heiser can do it!

10:39 a.m. on April 20, 2014 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,994 reviewer rep
475 forum posts

I am currently living/working in the UK (rather than my usual home in Canada). My most visited hiking destination is the Brecon Beacons national park in Wales, mostly because its easy for me to get to, and it helps that its a beautiful place. I've done one quick trip report this year, but if you would like, you can check out my flickr album from my various trips to the area.

I'll let the pictures do the talking

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157644123057876/

12:04 a.m. on April 22, 2014 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
5,441 reviewer rep
604 forum posts

Bill S: Thanks for the advice. You're right, there are a ton of pages to scan, but I'm slowly getting through them. Lots of excellent trip reports over the years. My intention isn't to short-change US trips by any means. I'm just intrigued by what's beyond our borders at the moment. That's all. 

TJ: Those are some great photos - especially the ones with the horses. Looks like a beautiful place.

GiftOGab: Looking forward to the trip reports from Peru. 

September 23, 2019
Quick Reply