Safety first....wear a da*n helmet. Bike crash story

2:18 p.m. on April 12, 2014 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
727 forum posts

Yeah...I had a bad one in Italy this week, and here's what I learned from the experience.

I was lucky.  I should be fine, and able to backpack this summer with no real issues.  But I look even worse than usual. 

Lessons learned:

Wear a helmet.stupid!  With a helmet I would have walked away from this crash.  I have ridden over 52,000 miles on a bike in the last ten years or so, and only ridden without a helmet about twice,  And that's all it took.

Stay at a good hotel. They were solicitous beyond belief, and efficient as well.  I felt fully and totally cared for.

Have friends and clients in Italy. They were wonderful, and really went out of their way to make sure that I was OK. 

Wear a helmet, stupid.

If you want the whole gory story, here's a link to our blog:

https://sites.google.com/site/backpackthesierra/home/our-blog

2:40 p.m. on April 12, 2014 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
5,414 reviewer rep
1,081 forum posts

Wow! That eye is something.

Definitely a lesson for us all to learn from, glad you're okay!

3:42 p.m. on April 14, 2014 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
7,173 reviewer rep
1,701 forum posts

Glad you're still with us to tell the tale.  My son was hit by a car while he was on his bike; ruined the helmet, he was pretty much ok.  His mom had just "pestered" him about having not worn it earlier that day.

They won't save you from everything but they can save your grape in a lot of instances. 

Always a good reminder.

1:02 p.m. on April 17, 2014 (EDT)
244 reviewer rep
5,429 forum posts

Like you I have been a bicyclist for many years ridden about 150,000 miles since my first cross country tour in 1982. But I still do not wear a helmet. Guess someday like you I will find out the hard way why they save lives.

1:22 a.m. on April 18, 2014 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
727 forum posts

Ha!  You may not find out why.  But your next of kin might.

Hope it never happens to you.  The Scary thing about this accident was that it was so close to being so much worse...

11:32 a.m. on April 19, 2014 (EDT)
244 reviewer rep
5,429 forum posts

I met a girl in Tucson once that when seeing me riding without a helmet asked me why. She was walking and half her body was paralized from what she said was a accident that happened to her when she was 11 years old riding without at helmet. She hit her head on the curb and has been paralized ever since. She was in her 20 then.

April 9, 2020
Quick Reply