DC-3 salvage rescue in Antarctica

2:45 a.m. on May 6, 2014 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
1,902 forum posts

Not really a trip report, but thought it might interest a few of you-this is a video about rebuilding a DC-3 that crashed on takeoff in Antarctica in 2012. It's long, but well worth watching if you like planes. Found it posted on www.wintertrekking.com

http://www.seaplaneforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=97&t=3439&mobile=on

2:29 p.m. on May 6, 2014 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
4,534 reviewer rep
6,031 forum posts

I wonder if the Kenn Borek plane referred to is this one that I photographed at Union Glacier in 2011. Kenn Borek runs a lot of flight operations in Antarctica. They have several DC3s that have been converted by swapping the old radials for turboprop engines:

DSC_0118.jpg

Here is a plane that landed a bit short of the blue ice runway that I visited when I was at Patriot Hills in 2006. Although it only drops a couple inches of snow a year, given enough years, snow does drift in Antarctica and cover things. I got a ride out to the plane on a snowmobile - very cold in the wind, which is why I had my 8000 meter jacket, down pants, and the crash helmet on, as well as thick mittens.

AnarcPlane1.jpg

The article also mentions the Ilyushin 76 that we used between Punta Arenas and Antarctica:

AnarcIL761.jpg

This Ilyushin is chartered from a Ukrainian company. The IL-76 is one of the largest planes in existence.

3:24 p.m. on May 6, 2014 (EDT)
743 reviewer rep
1,431 forum posts

I've flown Kenn Borek in the Arctic. They lost one of their twin Otters a little over a year ago. Thanks for posting, Tom and Bill.

10:42 p.m. on May 6, 2014 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
1,902 forum posts

Bill, the story says that Borek has two BT-67's (highly modified DC-3) named after his daughters. The crashed one was named Lydia. Painted for ALCI, the same company that runs the IL-76.

October 16, 2019
Quick Reply