Guadalupe Mountains National Park

1:18 p.m. on August 30, 2014 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
940 reviewer rep
782 forum posts

DSCF1868.jpg

I've been wanting to hike the Texas state highpoint and I did just that this past Wednesday and Thursday.  Not only is the the state highpoint, it's also the highpoint of the park itself and of Culberson county.

The Guadalupe Mountains is the remains of a horseshoe shaped, 400 mile long marine fossil reef which formed 260 to 270 million years ago.  Much of it is buried except for 3 areas in which erosion has exposed the reef, one of which is the Guadalupe Mountains National Park.  

geobasin_1.gif

I car camped in the well maintained tent camping area in a standard national parks' service campsite.  Here's the view from the tent:

DSCF1794.jpg

I took a short hike to an area known as the Devil's Hall that first afternoon:

DSCF1791.jpg

Starting out

DSCF1792.jpg

DSCF1788.jpg

Views along the way

DSCF1789.jpg

The Hikers' Staircase

DSCF1787.jpg

Looking back towards Hunter Peak

DSCF1781.jpg

Getting closer

20140827_173755.jpg

Devil's Hall

The following day, Thursday, I started the hike for Guadalupe Peak before sunrise by headlamp.  The photos will be in reverse order starting from the summit and returning to the trailhead:

DSCF1810.jpg

Hero summit pic

DSCF1801.jpg

Summit marker and the mountain's shadow below.  The marker was donated by American Airlines in 1950 and it was to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the Butterfield stage route.  

DSCF1802.jpg

Summit register

DSCF1812.jpg

El Capitan and the desert floor below

DSCF1824.jpg

After 45 minutes, I started the hike down and this is the last look at the summit marker 

DSCF1826.jpg

View of the trail just below the summit

DSCF1828.jpg

There's a tiny bit of exposure to the hiker's right

DSCF1834.jpg

A switchback, one of about 30

DSCF1837.jpg

Looking towards Hunter Peak and another switchback

DSCF1840.jpg

DSCF1843.jpg

Crossing the highest bridge in Texas

DSCF1844.jpg

Looking back

DSCF1845.jpg

This little path off the main trail will take you to a backcountry camp area.  There is no water source so water must be carried in.  Not much shelter from the winds.

DSCF1846.jpg

Looking back towards the backcountry area

DSCF1849.jpg

The Tejas trail as seen from across the valley.  The trail takes you to Hunter Peak.

DSCF1852.jpg

One more view of Hunter

DSCF1853.jpg

Nothing like log steps and switchbacks for gaining vert!

DSCF1855.jpg

That's a switchback 

DSCF1857.jpg

About 50 yards of good exposure coming up.  Don't want to roll the ankle or slip here.

DSCF1858.jpg

Looking back.  Sheer drop of about 200-250 ft.

DSCF1859.jpg

Did someone say switchbacks?!

DSCF1865.jpg

Nice looking set of steps to get the heart rate up

DSCF1866.jpg

I was running on this part of the trail

DSCF1867.jpg

The end!

1:07 a.m. on September 1, 2014 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
123 forum posts

Wow!  Fabulous shots, and each so different from the last.  A real treat from my usual point-of-view here on the Gulf Coast.  Makes me wanna make the trip, though!  Thanks for taking the time to share with us.

5:51 a.m. on September 1, 2014 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
940 reviewer rep
782 forum posts

Thanks Bunion,  another one to check out is Big Bend National Park also.  I plan on hitting that one sometime next year.  Big Bend covers a larger region and it is noted for it's backpacking opportunities in the Chisos Mountains.

10:29 a.m. on September 1, 2014 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
5,396 reviewer rep
595 forum posts

I love seeing trip reports from places I know so little about.

Thanks for sharing and showing me something new.

2:05 p.m. on September 1, 2014 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
3,804 forum posts

West Texas is the best part of the state. I have had some interesting backpacking experiences at Big Bend in winter hiking cross country to the next water hole.

I had plans to paddle the Rio Grande once in February but the weather turned really cold with blowing snow and we cancelled. It is an interesting part of the world and relates more to New Mexico geologically than the rest of Tejas.

2:37 p.m. on September 1, 2014 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
940 reviewer rep
782 forum posts

Yes ppine that's for certain. No one ever relates Texas with mountains and certainly not snowy conditions but it happens more often than not, especially in the northern and western regions of the state. The Texas panhandle region is like an entirely different state. It can get brutally cold and windy with lots of snow.

6:43 p.m. on September 2, 2014 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,979 reviewer rep
475 forum posts

Great photos! What a slick looking summit marker!

7:15 p.m. on September 2, 2014 (EDT)
3,173 reviewer rep
2,252 forum posts

Rob that was really cool and I echo the others....thanks for showing a place that is new to me!

8:22 a.m. on September 3, 2014 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
110 forum posts

Beautiful area.  Thanks for sharing the photos.

8:50 a.m. on September 3, 2014 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
1,684 reviewer rep
4,148 forum posts

I've never hiked in Texas, so thanks for sharing this, Rob.

I admit it looked steeper and even higher than I might have imagined. Cool mountains!

I think that's the fanciest summit marker I've ever seen.

11:43 p.m. on September 3, 2014 (EDT)
114 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

Very nice review. I live in the Big Bend region of west Texas, south of the Guadalupe Mountains, and I've hiked this trail before. You touched on the wind, but let me emphasize that the wind blows here constantly, very regularly topping 100 mph. I was on top one night when the wind was recorded at approx. 120 mph. Be prepared. Thanks for the review. 

I would also like to mention that the Chisos Mountains of Big Bend National Park reach a height of over 7000' and the views from the south rim across the desert into Mexico are stunning, and usually you are dealing with much friendlier weather conditions.

5:58 a.m. on September 4, 2014 (EDT)
136 reviewer rep
9 forum posts

See my review of the Kelty Acadia tent for Guadalupe Mts. in January.  

7:38 a.m. on September 4, 2014 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
940 reviewer rep
782 forum posts

Alcap said:

See my review of the Kelty Acadia tent for Guadalupe Mts. in January.  

Glorious snow!!!  Texas weather is mind boggling sometimes.

Bob Freeman, I suppose the Guadalupes could be regarded as the Mount Washington of the southwest in regards to the wind.  The wind is constant and sometimes hurricane force especially during the spring.  Fortunately, on my hike, the winds were calm and even at the summit it never exceeded 15mph.  

One other thing I forgot to mention I saw three other lone hikers on my way down.  One was a 60ish year of age hiker and he was on his 39th state highpoint.  He said he was climbing all the far western highpoints.   

8:52 a.m. on September 4, 2014 (EDT)
13 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

Love The Peak! A great post and some really nice pics. Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

12:05 p.m. on September 4, 2014 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

I have hiked most of the trails in GMNP and it is one of my favorite places, although the wind can blow as others have attested. I am hoping to hike Guadalupe Ridge to Carlsbad next year. That hike is logistically challenging for caching water, but worth it.

1:13 p.m. on September 4, 2014 (EDT)
244 reviewer rep
5,346 forum posts

The desert southwest has so much to offer. Thanks for the great trip report. I will be back in the Sonoran Desert around Tucson this winter. I always look forward to the diversity of biological wildlife. Some year maybe next spring I want to pedal to Texas as see its many areas like the Guadalupe Mountains and Big Bend.

4:39 p.m. on September 4, 2014 (EDT)
11,722 reviewer rep
1,399 forum posts

Great pics! My buddy from Texas wants me to come down and do this with him someday.

6:34 p.m. on September 4, 2014 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
940 reviewer rep
782 forum posts

Voyage, have to ever accessed the park from the northern canyon? I hear it's remote and sees very little use. There's only one road to it and it has to be accessed from NM.

Gary, I think you would like the scenery in west Texas but public lands are scarce. You would have to do some research on camping options or do the "stealth camping" thing!

Goose, El Paso is only 130 miles west of the park and they have an international airport. I think you would find it quite enjoyable. The park only sees significant visits during national holidays and even then, it's not nearly busy as more popular national parks.

10:27 a.m. on September 5, 2014 (EDT)
11,722 reviewer rep
1,399 forum posts

My friend in Midland, TX wants me to come out and do it with him.

11:57 p.m. on September 8, 2014 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
443 forum posts

Looks like a place I need to explore!

10:48 p.m. on September 9, 2014 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

Rob - I drove the back way into Dog Canyon last January from 62 to Dell City and on to Dog Canyon.   Gravel roads that were rough but OK if you have reasonably high clearance.  I  hiked up to Lost Peak and cached a gallon of water where Tejas and McKittrick trails meet.  The next day, I headed up the Bush Mtn trail and camped at Blue Ridge.  Next day, to McKittrick Ridge Camp, then back to DC the following day.  There is lots to explore from that side and I was the only person in the campground most of the time.  Of course, it was cold, being January and all.

9:28 a.m. on September 12, 2014 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
940 reviewer rep
782 forum posts

Voyage Thirty-four said:

Rob - I drove the back way into Dog Canyon last January from 62 to Dell City and on to Dog Canyon.   Gravel roads that were rough but OK if you have reasonably high clearance.  I  hiked up to Lost Peak and cached a gallon of water where Tejas and McKittrick trails meet.  The next day, I headed up the Bush Mtn trail and camped at Blue Ridge.  Next day, to McKittrick Ridge Camp, then back to DC the following day.  There is lots to explore from that side and I was the only person in the campground most of the time.  Of course, it was cold, being January and all.

Voyage, thanks for the beta.  I like going to areas that see very few, if any, people and little use.  I have an FJ Cruiser and it has been on some rugged trails.  That northern area of the park is someplace I would like to explore.  I was thinking of setting up a base camp at the ranger station and then day hiking the nearby trails.  Thanks again.  

1:56 p.m. on September 13, 2014 (EDT)
6,488 reviewer rep
175 forum posts

That was fantastic! Great to hear about another place I'd love to check out. Thanks for sharing.

1:03 p.m. on September 15, 2014 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
4,241 reviewer rep
603 forum posts

How cool, Rob! Thanks for sharing. I never would have thought Texas had mountains that amazing!

1:01 p.m. on September 16, 2014 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

Dog Canyon is an excellent spot for a basecamp for day hiking and short backpacking trips.  They have great tent spots - I was in a camper van and those spots are not so nice, but since no one was around, I parked in the tent campers lot.  The ranger was very helpful as well.

When I left, I took the paved roads which eventually brought me back to 62.  However, there are some gravel roads into Lincoln National Forest which offer great hiking and camping opportunities along the way.

9:31 a.m. on September 17, 2014 (EDT)
244 reviewer rep
5,346 forum posts

Have to make it out there sometime.

June 25, 2019
Quick Reply