Cottonwood Lakes 2015

10:16 a.m. on July 25, 2015 (EDT)
1,515 reviewer rep
140 forum posts

Took my daughter to her first Sierra experience this past week.  Spent a couple of days at the Lake to fish and explore.  We camped at around 11,000 feet and it was beautiful.  Threats of bad weather but we managed to somehow elude it.  

Below is the video I made from our trip...hope you enjoy!

10:18 a.m. on July 25, 2015 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
3,598 forum posts

Cool video. My life would be different if I had video like this to look at for all the really big trips. Start em young and never stop.

10:38 a.m. on July 25, 2015 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
4,534 reviewer rep
6,021 forum posts

Great video, great trip! Everyone should take their children into the woods and hills to experience nature.

Ummm.... wait, no! If everyone did that, the woods and hills would be like Times Square on New Years Eve. Don't take your kids out there! They would just come to love it like Trailspacers do. Warn people away! Tell them how dangerous it is! And having to catch the trout for food - yuck, fish! You have to clean them and cook them yourself! People should stick to buying their fish sandwiches at the fast food places. . You really don't want the hordes to discover the joys of nature.

grmble grumble ... your video is too good and too attractive for the general public.

10:46 a.m. on July 25, 2015 (EDT)
1,515 reviewer rep
140 forum posts

HAHAHA! Looks like we just missed one another too...weren't you just there to bag Whitney?

11:32 a.m. on July 25, 2015 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
4,534 reviewer rep
6,021 forum posts

Yes. But the Portal is so tremendously changed since I was last there - way too many parking lots and cars.

The restaurant that appears in your video makes excellent burgers (according to my compatriots - I don't eat mammal meat myself). It is much larger than I remember it from several decades ago.

I am against permits usually. But with the crowds that are flocking to the Sierra these days, I have to say I am becoming supportive of something to reduce the load. Still, the old rule of the population declining as the square of the distance of the trailhead and cube of the gain in elevation seems to be holding true.

2:44 p.m. on July 25, 2015 (EDT)
1,452 reviewer rep
1,344 forum posts

Haha, I'll go with The OGBO's comments on this one, LOL.  Tell everyone how scary the mountains are!  :-D

But seriously, great video Mangus.  It's great that you can teach your daughter to enjoy and respect the wilderness.  The video made me want to be out there.

6:40 a.m. on July 27, 2015 (EDT)
271 reviewer rep
1,909 forum posts

Great Video...So cool you take the time for your daughter...

2:26 p.m. on July 27, 2015 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
4,505 reviewer rep
1,012 forum posts

Awesome video, Angus. I've watch it twice now, once with my two year old and he loved it! 

Keep it up man, it's inspirational for those of us with younger children! 

4:38 p.m. on July 27, 2015 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,048 reviewer rep
2,240 forum posts

haha great stuff! I have no children but this is valuable to pass on....I get excited when I see families getting together for such.

5:47 p.m. on July 27, 2015 (EDT)
1,515 reviewer rep
140 forum posts

Thanks everyone! We're already planning our next trip. Hopefully before her school starts...thinking about taking her to Thousand Island Lake from Agnew Meadows (Ansel Adams Wilderness).  

3:01 p.m. on July 29, 2015 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
1,109 reviewer rep
4,021 forum posts

Great video, Angus! Thanks for sharing it.

It's wonderful that you're able to take your daughter out to enjoy the outdoors like this. And it looks like she is really enjoying it too. I bet she'll find it fun to look back on these pictures and videos as she gets older.

By the way, I noticed that she has the same exact pack as my son. We've really liked the Deuter. I hope you have too.

I'm glad your daughter has her own Trailspace hat on too.

4:18 p.m. on July 29, 2015 (EDT)
1,515 reviewer rep
140 forum posts

Hey Alicia! Yes, she uses the Deuter Fox 30 on longer trips.  Her other pack is the REI Tarn 18.  The Deuter will be replaced soon for a much lighter pack - hoping to get one custom made for her.

The TS Hat is must! She never leaves home without it!

9:23 a.m. on July 30, 2015 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
1,109 reviewer rep
4,021 forum posts

Thanks for the info, Angus. I'm glad she's enjoying her hat.

6:13 p.m. on August 3, 2015 (EDT)
40 reviewer rep
560 forum posts

Loved the video and I agree with PPines wishes of something to re-enforce the memories.

How old is your daughter?

Cottonwood Lakes was the traditional start of the family backpacking season on Father's Day. Sometimes snow sometimes not.  Snow above 11,000 every year tho.

Both kids have continued to appreciate the gift of the out doors and mountains everywhere.

6:19 p.m. on August 3, 2015 (EDT)
1,515 reviewer rep
140 forum posts

Speacock, she's 9 :)

This was her first trip in the area. We typically backpack in our local mountains...Angeles National Forest, San Gorgonio, Cucamonga Wilderness, etc.

She's definitely caught the Sierra bug and wants to go back to see more alpine lakes!

January 22, 2019
Quick Reply