My first summers adventure in 1977.

10:06 p.m. on August 13, 2015 (EDT)
244 reviewer rep
5,429 forum posts

This link show my route I took in 1977 when I hitchhiked around the USA from June to October then flew to Alaska http://goo.gl/WPiaS5 I went from Hope AR to Sodus NY, to Washington DC to Denver CO to Great Falls MT to Seattle WA to Yosemite CA to Los Angeles CA and back to Hope AR. A month after getting home in Septmeber 1977 I hitched back to Seattle WA and flew via Alaska Airlines (1st Class) to Anchorage AK.Since then I have been on and off the road 38 years and traveled about 250,000 miles by thumb,bus,airline,foot and bicycle.

11:12 a.m. on August 17, 2015 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
4,071 forum posts

We were all foot loose when we were young. I did a similar trip in a VW Bus for a couple of months in 1972 after graduating college, and used to drive across the country every summer for years. Driving from the end of the Alaska ferry line to Anchorage through the Yukon Territory was one of the best. I attempted to hitchhike, but after the ferry traffic left, it was all local people.

Recently I calculated around 950,000 miles by truck including an outdoor career, and plenty of helicopter and float plane time working in Alaska. We have been lucky to get out there all the time, and there is no reason to stop now.

April 4, 2020
Quick Reply