Winter solitude

10:52 a.m. on February 14, 2016 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
60 forum posts

A few weeks ago I wandered off into the mountains for a few days. The first day was raining and windy so I held off a while to see if it would stop. It didn't, I headed out anyway. 

IMG_0059.jpg
The storm was kicking up pretty good and wasn't going to back off so I altered my course and tucked myself into this protected little clearing along Miller Creek where I spent three amazing days of quiet solitude. 

IMG_0063.jpg

IMG_0060.jpg
IMG_0062.jpg

The storm turned to snow overnight. Is there anything as quiet as the hush of a crisp, cold morning in the mountains with new snow?  I love it up here this time of year because snowshoes are about the only way anyone could get in here. That being the case, I have the place pretty much to my self from the end of hunting season until spring. The next two days were quiet and peaceful with intermittent snow and very cold temps. The third morning was especially cold and I opted to stay in the hammock and enjoy a couple of extra chapters of my book even though it meant a late breakfast. 

The nice thing about camping in willows is not only do they provide shelter but each clump of willows will have several dead willows in it. Since they don't fall over they stay dry enough to provide fire wood in weather like this. Camping down along the water in a low spot makes things a bit colder, but was a worthwhile trade off to be sheltered from the storm like I was.

IMG_0068.jpg
Mid day on the third day packed up and on my way. Looking forward to the next one!

11:15 a.m. on February 14, 2016 (EST)
482 reviewer rep
324 forum posts

Thanks, Dale for the story and beautiful photos. Some of the best times of my life have been laying around camp during a storm, especially under a tarp with full view of the natural world. That's what it's all about for me. Add to that the peace and solitude of the forest in winter; you really can't get any better.

11:58 a.m. on February 14, 2016 (EST)
73 reviewer rep
3,994 forum posts

Mental health plan.

1:06 p.m. on February 14, 2016 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
8,797 reviewer rep
1,489 forum posts

Sure makes me miss living some place that has Winter weather.

7:18 a.m. on February 15, 2016 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
60 forum posts

Well said North1. We think alike. Glad you enjoyed the photos.

3:40 p.m. on February 15, 2016 (EST)
260 reviewer rep
207 forum posts

LoneStranger said:

Sure makes me miss living some place that has Winter weather.

I'll gladly return to a land of two seasons --- wet and dry.

My son and I shoveled my driveway and my neighbor's driveway today.  It sucks.

9:50 p.m. on February 15, 2016 (EST)
447 reviewer rep
313 forum posts

Nice photos. I should be so lucky. Once again we received an inch of snow and it'll melt tomorrow. Not good.

December 5, 2019
Quick Reply