February Snow and March Cranberries

12:11 p.m. on April 13, 2016 (EDT)
275 reviewer rep
1,424 forum posts

I pulled two long backpacking trips in February and March and might as well include them here with links to the pertinent pics and journals.

The first was 17 Days In The Snow in February in the mountains of TN and NC and all trip pics can be found here---

https://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backpack-2016-Trips-171/17-Days-in-the-Snow/

Trip journal is here---

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=522771

The main facet of this trip was getting to hike thru 5 separate snowstorms in the blue ridge mountains, and these pics summarize my experience---

TRIP%20172%20058-L.jpg
My second snowfall happened here on the Brush Mt trail in the Citico wilderness.

TRIP%20172%20220.jpg
Patman even hooks up with me on the Rocky Flats trail in Citico.  We had a cold night at 8F.

TRIP%20172%20338-L.jpg
A fifth snowstorm hit me on the Pine Ridge trail in Citico.

TRIP%20172%20410-L.jpg
The trip ends on Flats Mt on Day 17.

The second trip of the season occurred in the same area but more on the NC side in the Kilmer/Slickrock wilderness for another 17 day trip.  All pics can be found here---

https://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backpack-2016-Trips-171/17-Days-with-the-Cranberries/

And trail journal here---

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=527717

This trip can be summarized in two words---Cranbrook School and trailwork.

TRIP%20173%20229-L.jpg
I ran into the annual 10 day wilderness backpacking trip of the Cranbrook School---the Cranberries.

TRIP%20173%20061-L.jpg
More Cranberries---on Four Mile Ridge between Bob Mt and Hangover Mt.

TRIP%20173%20206-L.jpg
Patman even shows up on Jenkins Meadow trail when the temps dip down to around 20F.

TRIP%20173%20320-L.jpg
More Cranberries, this time coming down the Haoe Lead trail while I'm going up.

TRIP%20173%20449.jpg
My trip is involved but after 17 days I finally come out on the Jeffrey Hell trail.

4:14 p.m. on April 13, 2016 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,173 reviewer rep
2,255 forum posts

Thanks for the report!

FYI, I saw you mention Sgt Rock on whiteblaze and wanted to tell you that I ran into him and his son in the Smokies a couple months back. He has taken up fly fishing with tenkara rods. He had a backpacking/fishing trip planned for somewhere either out west or in Alaska!

4:20 p.m. on April 13, 2016 (EDT)
125 reviewer rep
3,383 forum posts

I noticed you carry brush cutting tools. 

Last summer I wanted to travel a trail I once hiked in my youth, in an area that has since been declared part of the San Gabriel Wilderness.  While on a trip to a nearby venue I crossed paths with a forest ranger and inquired about the aforementioned trail.  I was informed the trail is not maintained, and is almost completely grown over.   The understory of the San Gabriel Mountains can be every bit as impenetrable as forests of the eastern US, thus one really needs a trail to access many parts of this terrain.  I pointed to evidence someone trimmed back flora on the trail we were standing on, and inquired if I should bring  a saw for the bigger obstructions I'm surely to encounter along my proposed hike.  The ranger stated not only should I not bring such hardware, but that if I was caught trimming flora without authorization on this or any trial in the San Gabriel Mountains trail I would be fined!  Jeez, you'd think they'd be fine with volunteer trail maintenance of this nature.  He reasoned the park service may not want easy access trails in this very high fire danger area, or that they are trying to scale back human presence in a portion of the forest they are trying to make more hospitable to bears.  As it is this policy will eventually result in miles of lost trails, and hundreds of square miles of impenetrable forest, this in an area already lacking open spaces for (Los Angeles) the local population.

Ed

5:21 p.m. on April 13, 2016 (EDT)
273 reviewer rep
1,943 forum posts

Did you get a new pack and tent? Seems both were different colors last..Thanks for the trips as always...

7:57 a.m. on April 14, 2016 (EDT)
275 reviewer rep
1,424 forum posts

Patman---Cool you ran into the Rock.  He writes the BMT Trail Guide book as everyone probably knows.

Denis---Yes, I upgraded to a red Hilleberg and a G7000 Mystery Ranch pack---the last one they had in stock before discontinuing the G series.

8:18 a.m. on April 14, 2016 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
5,441 reviewer rep
603 forum posts

Not the kind of cranberries that one hopes to find along the trail. Good to see the kids out though.

Great reports, Tipi. I always enjoy them. 

5:58 p.m. on April 14, 2016 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,802 reviewer rep
1,438 forum posts

After a month or two without a Tipi trip report I have found myself occasionally wondering where you might be wandering. Great to get an update. Thanks.

12:17 a.m. on April 15, 2016 (EDT)
275 reviewer rep
1,424 forum posts

I mercifully still get out, I just don't post detailed trip reports here much anymore.

11:13 a.m. on April 15, 2016 (EDT)
273 reviewer rep
1,943 forum posts

I enjoyed your trail journal you posted..Gives me reference for winter backpacking ...I hope you continue posting here...

August 22, 2019
Quick Reply