Finding the Floyd Otter and King Arthur Trees

10:57 a.m. on October 13, 2016 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

Floyd-Otter.jpg

Sarah-in-front-of-King-Arthur-2-.jpg

So I was looking for a weekend getaway for my 13-year-old daughter and myself and stumbled across Lambertiana's post about the King Arthur Tree and the Floyd Otter Tree, the 12th and 9th largest Sequoias in the world, respectively. They are located in the Garfield Grove, a remote grove in the southwest corner of Sequoia National Park.

The intriguing part of Lambertiana's post was that they were not located on a trail, nor were there any signs or even GPS coordinates as to their whereabouts.

Lambertiana was generous enough to email me a hand-drawn map (I believe given to him by a descendant of Floyd Otter). After hiking about a 5 mile ascent on the trail, we then followed Lambertiana's map about 1/2 mile off trail to find these majestic trees.  

The photo at the top is Sarah and I in front of Floyd Otter.  The bottom is Sarah (lower left,  black shirt) in front of King Arthur.

This was a phenomenal trip.  Sarah loved it. Looking forward to going back. A big thank you to Lambertiana!

11:33 a.m. on October 13, 2016 (EDT)
25 reviewer rep
3,397 forum posts

great job Jack. 

This is one of my favorite past times.  I have hiked to the largest tree on National Forest land nearby and adjacent to the Park.  Finding big trees and unusual species is my speciality.

2:03 p.m. on October 19, 2016 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
873 reviewer rep
3,926 forum posts

Sounds like a great trip with your daughter, Intrepid.jack.

We spent some time in Kings Canyon and then Sequoia last summer. The trees are amazing!

3:53 p.m. on October 19, 2016 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
541 forum posts

I've just finished reading a book about finding the largest Sequoias...what fun!

9:41 p.m. on October 19, 2016 (EDT)
271 reviewer rep
1,893 forum posts

That's awesome and Nice of Lambertiania...

September 23, 2018
Quick Reply