Annual Father's Day Powwow

11:11 p.m. on June 18, 2017 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
3,886 forum posts

Today was my birthday, and so we headed to Carson City to the old Stewart Indian School for big deal drumming, dancing and costumes. People come from all over for 3 days to share their culture. In court yard of the assimilation school where Native children were sent from 1890 to 1980, to unlearn their culture, now there is a celebration of Native culture. Everyone is in a good mood, with positive energy, civility and friendliness. I did not hear a swear word or a harsh word all day. 

Then home to see the live stream of the Grateful Dead & Co. from Fenway Park.  The new formulation of the band is magnificent.  My cup is full and running over. Thanks to all my Brothers and Sisters for the kind thoughts and wishes. 

1:23 a.m. on June 19, 2017 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
2,695 reviewer rep
1,452 forum posts

Happy birthday man! That sounds like a fine way to spend a day.

8:09 a.m. on June 19, 2017 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,802 reviewer rep
1,438 forum posts

Happy Birthday Ppine.  I agree - a great day indeed!

9:52 a.m. on June 19, 2017 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
3,886 forum posts

Thank you. 

Most people seem to think of Native culture as something from the past that they have learned about by watching western movies.   To be immersed in it is a learning experience.  The costumes are a like a Dream. 

5:31 p.m. on June 19, 2017 (EDT)
125 reviewer rep
3,383 forum posts

America has much it can learn from the First Nations peoples.

Ed

7:52 a.m. on June 20, 2017 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,173 reviewer rep
2,255 forum posts

Happy Birthday

Sounds fun!

8:00 a.m. on June 20, 2017 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,173 reviewer rep
2,255 forum posts

Ed,

To your point, I found a moldy book on the trail at a campsite a couple years ago: "The European and The Indian". It was published in 1982 but is an ethno-history studying the period of about 1600-1763. The writing is pretty dry but the content was fascinating. Most interesting to me were the chapters that dealt with white Europeans that for various reasons and circumstances were inculcated into the native culture.  In some instances they had opportunities to return but often chose to remain, preferring the native lifestyle. 

August 21, 2019
Quick Reply