San Pedro de Atacama, 2nd Region of Chile

10:49 p.m. on October 24, 2017 (EDT)
156 reviewer rep
7 forum posts

Dear community,

On my second trip report I want to show you a well-known place that I visited in my country, this is San Pedro de Atacama, located in the 2nd region of Chile from 1 hour and a half from the airport of Calama. If am not wrong this airport does not have international flights, so if you want to visit this place, you must arrive in Santiago de Chile, then take a flight to Calama, and finally pay for the transfer from the airport to the hotel/hostel that you want.

In most of the places that you can visit you are not able to camp, because they are protected, and you only can do some short trails and appreciate some of the beautiful landscapes. Anyway if you are interested in climb some volcanoes, it will be different, and you will need your gear.

There are a lot of places that you can visit in San Pedro de Atacama, you can rent a car in the airport and visit all that you want, or pay for a tour that includes transportation from your location to the place, a touristic guide that is going to explain you the history of each place, and some snacks are included for the mid-day tours, in the case of full-day tours breakfast and lunch are included, note that some agencies works in a different way, so before pay ask for information.

Some of the places I visited:

Valle de la Luna (Moon Valley):

Cost: 10 usd for the tour + 5 usd for the ticket
Duration: Generally from 4pm to 8pm
Description: This place is called Moon Valley because the surface looks like the surface in the moon. Many years ago this place was covered by the sea, and the tectonic activity formed the mountain ranges that you can appreciate. The surface is covered with salt.

poVqK9DWj

pn8ZAyPvj

pninRPbMj

pmdSAB7Vj

pm7xSW7Oj

pnoNOeykj
THIS IS NOT PACMAN.

Piedras rojas:

Cost: 45 usd for the tour + 8 usd for the tickets
Duration: Generally from 7am to 4pm
Description: In this tour you have the possibility to see flamencos, vicuñas, zorros, and some vizcachas. You are going to visit the Laguna Chaxa where there are a lot of flamencos, Salar de Talar, Lagunas Miscanti and Miñiques, and visit Toconao.

pnJljBQSj
This is the Laguna Chaxa, and you can see some Flamencos.

poRr3uX6j
This is the Salar de Talar, at the end you can see the Volcanoe Licancabur. The name Piedras Rojas is because those rocks are formed with minerals, mainly iron.

porXTD0Bj
This is the Laguna Miscanti.

Laguna Cejar:

Cost: 20 usd for the tour + 25usd for the tickets
Duration: Generally from 4pm to 9pm
Description: In the Laguna Cejar you can float because of the amount of salt that is contained in the water. You will also visit the Tebinquinche lake, which has a beautiful landscape.

pnaW2Wuhj
This is a sun set in the Tebinquinche lake.

And two extra pictures:

pol15rDBj
This is one of the main streets of San Pedro de Atacama, called Toconao.

pmb3PfJQj
And this is one of the views during the flight.

I know my english is not the best, but I am still learning.

Greetings and have nice trails.

8:20 a.m. on October 25, 2017 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,173 reviewer rep
2,255 forum posts

Thanks for sharing this Igancio, these are some great pictures!

10:29 a.m. on October 25, 2017 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
3,894 forum posts

Gracias Ignacio.  Very interesting landscape.  It looks like there are few visitors.  I would love to see los flamencos.  The lakes change everything. 

August 25, 2019
Quick Reply