N.Rim to S. Rim Nov. 6 - 9

4:20 p.m. on November 14, 2017 (EST)
954 reviewer rep
663 forum posts

A friend and I did our "geezer hike" (he's 71, I'm 74) last week in the Grand Canyon. Four days and 3 nights. It was sometimes tough but always spectacular. 

We each had our own tents, his a BA Copper Creek Platinum edition 2 person and mine a Tarptent Moment DW solo tent. His pack a Z-Packs, mine an Osprey EXOS 58. 

We diverged on stove types, mine a Trail Designs Sidewinder ti cone stove with ESBIT tabs and his a "micro" JetBoil. Both worked well. 

The hike was down, down for two days from the North Rim on the Kiabab Trail and up, up for two days on the Bright Angel trail. The 3 camps were Cottonwood, Bright angel and Indian Garden. 

Another "bucket list" backpack. His 1st time backpacking the GC and my 2nd time but 1st time on the Kaibab Trail.

Eric B.

BTW, photos to follow.

4:39 p.m. on November 15, 2017 (EST)
244 reviewer rep
5,346 forum posts

I did my first R2R in 1999 when I was 43 with a older friend of mine who was in his 80's at the time. He later went on to doing 106 R2Rs when he was 86 in one year, that's two a week. We did uour first one in January 99 and it took me 7 hours and him 19 his first time. I have done a few in a matter of days as well.

11:28 a.m. on November 16, 2017 (EST)
73 reviewer rep
3,790 forum posts

thanks 300winmag. You are inspirational for all of we old farts.  

I love the GC and plan to do another raft trip. 

No AZ is a wonderful place, and the GC is the Crown Jewel. 

June 17, 2019
Quick Reply