Baxter State Park, ME

6:38 p.m. on October 16, 2018 (EDT)
GUIDE/OUTFITTER TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
10,094 reviewer rep
443 forum posts

I'm a bit behind working on some climbing gear reviews, but at least wanted to share a few goodies from leaf peepin' for nine days in Baxter State Park; October 4-12. 

IMG_1243.jpg

IMG_1266.jpg

IMG_1390.jpg

IMG_1451.jpg

IMG_1452.jpg

IMG_1504.jpg

IMG_1622.jpg

IMG_1680.jpg

IMG_1682.jpg

IMG_1683.jpg

IMG_1689.jpg

IMG_1741.jpgThis one is for Uncle Fungus

IMG_1743.jpg

IMG_1782.jpg

IMG_3117.jpg

IMG_3124.jpg

IMG_3145.jpg

IMG_3196.jpg

IMG_3302.jpg

IMG_3274.png
I hope everyone is enjoying their Autumn!!!

9:03 p.m. on October 16, 2018 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
3,638 forum posts

Nice TR Sean.

Cessation of chrophyll production is caused mostly by photoperiod or day length.  When that happens, the other compounds in the leaf that have been present all along are revealed.  Yellow colors are mostly created by caratenoids.  Red colors mostly by antrhocyanine.  Orange is a combination of both of them.  The best colors show with sunny, dry weather and warm days.  Windy conditions obviously remove a lot of leaves. 

Fall is the best season in a lot of places and it certainly is here on the east side of the Sierra Nevada Mtns. 

9:57 p.m. on October 16, 2018 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,454 reviewer rep
1,335 forum posts

Beautiful photos Sean - sounds like a fantastic and well timed trip! Fall is just beginning here in the southeast mountains. I am interested to see what one of the wettest years on record...before our two hurricanes dumped another foot or two of rain...does to the fall foliage!

Always enjoy the depth of ppine's forestry knowledge as well...I learned that years ago but had forgotten the details behind the colors.

6:21 a.m. on October 17, 2018 (EDT)
4,565 reviewer rep
1,015 forum posts

"Leaf Peepin" might be the best description ever, you'll have to trademark that one cause I plan on stealing it. Hahaha. Great photos Sean.

6:34 a.m. on October 17, 2018 (EDT)
3,535 reviewer rep
1,044 forum posts

A joke from when I used to wait tables at a place in NH's White Mountains:

"What's the call of the wild leaf peeper?"

"Cheap cheap!"

8:55 a.m. on October 17, 2018 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF TOP 25 REVIEWER
1,119 reviewer rep
4,046 forum posts

Great pictures, Sean! As you know, you had peak timing for your leaf peeping and hiking in Baxter.

I said something about "leaf peeping" to my kids this weekend after a short hike (how people come to New England just to see the trees turn, which we already get to see). The 10-year-old said she'd never heard that term before, which makes no sense because both kids have lived in Maine their whole lives!

11:32 a.m. on October 17, 2018 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
3,638 forum posts

The East and the Midwest are beautiful in the fall.  I miss it. But the West can be inspiring as well.  The red vine maples in Washington are my favorite along with the yellow, orange and bright red aspens of Colorado. Hope nobody minds a little leaf talk. I carry this stuff around and rarely get to use it 

6:42 p.m. on October 17, 2018 (EDT)
7,883 reviewer rep
1,416 forum posts

Sounds like you guys had a good trip Sean. Sorry the timing didn't work out for me to join you this time. Been trying to figure out which LT that last pic is from...Little East? Hudson??

7:42 p.m. on October 17, 2018 (EDT)
27 reviewer rep
51 forum posts

Dude your photography is unreal! Excellent color work

9:36 p.m. on October 17, 2018 (EDT)
GUIDE/OUTFITTER TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
10,094 reviewer rep
443 forum posts

Thanks everybody!

ppine- I always appreciate your knowledge of the trees, not just the Ponderosa Pine!

Phil- The forest is still completely green as well in the mid-atlantic; hoping to catch another nice foliage peak.

Jake- I definitely cannot claim being the original 'leaf peeper'!

BigRed- Your joke reminds me of an evening in Glacier NP; the industry folks after the sunset dinner rush were telling similar jokes about the vacationing diners.

Alicia- My third visit to BSP was by far the most impressive; I suppose the peak foliage had something to do with being such a wet year.

LoneStranger- The last photo with the prayer flags wasn't in the northern Freezeout Loop that we hiked. We moved the car, and hiked Nesowadnehunk east to Center Pond, then Wassataquoik Lake. This was the Wass Lake Lean-To, just north of the island. If memory serves me correctly, we dropped pack & had a snack there several years back... We'll hopefully get back out, I'm really thinking this Cohos Trail might be overtaking my urge to End-To-End the LT! 

NorthWestWanderer- I appreciate it, but nature gets all the credit for the photos; all images are untouched/unedited. 

12:04 a.m. on October 18, 2018 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

Not enjoying fall quite as much as you, based on these magnificent images. My last time at Baxter was June 2015 during the huge, unannounced Nor’easter that flooded Basin and Depot Ponds, completely overflowing Chimney Pond Trail with 10 knot, 4’ deep run-off. Can't wait to return!

7:31 a.m. on October 18, 2018 (EDT)
7,883 reviewer rep
1,416 forum posts

I camped at that Wass Lake lean to with the Boys from Texas a few years back. Sited nicely for wind protection which is important in that area :) Hope you took in the view point way above the lake near the Little Wass site. That spot is amazing!

9:02 a.m. on October 18, 2018 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
3,638 forum posts

Headed out to see fall colors in Yosemite next week. 

February 22, 2019
Quick Reply