Blood Mountain Loop in Georgia

1:20 p.m. on October 19, 2018 (EDT)
MEDIA
87 reviewer rep
20 forum posts

So I completed the loop around and up Blood Mountain, I went the opposite direction than most people online. I took the Byron Reece Trail > Freeman Trail > Appalachian Trail. It was a really good hike. I decided to make it an over nighter and stay the night at Blood Mountain Shelter. It is about 6 miles total. I took the action cam along for the journey. I ended up with so much footage, I had to break it down into 4 parts. I had done that section of AT before, but had never done the Byron Reece or Freeman Trails. 

Take a few mins and check out part one, link below. Lemme know what you think. Also, I will just add to this thread with the new videos from this hike instead of starting a new thread. So if you are interested in the other parts, either keep an eye on this thread or subscribe in YouTube.

7:10 a.m. on October 20, 2018 (EDT)
2,017 reviewer rep
387 forum posts

It's a nice loop. Was the Freeman overgrown? I've been through there in summer and the grasses can be 7-8 ft high, almost impossible at points to see the trail even looking straight down at your feet. I've also been through in late fall and it's pretty much all died away.

9:16 p.m. on October 22, 2018 (EDT)
MEDIA
87 reviewer rep
20 forum posts

JRinGeorgia said:

It's a nice loop. Was the Freeman overgrown? I've been through there in summer and the grasses can be 7-8 ft high, almost impossible at points to see the trail even looking straight down at your feet. I've also been through in late fall and it's pretty much all died away.

It wasn't too overgrown. The main thing was that there were a good many brier vines growing across the trail. I could definitely see it getting very over grown. I went on Columbus Day weekend and only passed one pair of hikers. 

November 17, 2019
Quick Reply