Open main menu

Happy New Year 2020 -Trailspace

Barbara and I made our traditional New Year's day hike to the top of Black Mountain (near Palo Alto California).

California has seen a lot of changes during the year, with a lot of problems with fires in some of the most beautiful areas where many of us spend lots of time in the mountains. Unfortunately, we had large fires in northern California that resulted in way too many deaths of people. The climate has been changing, leaving large areas in the hills with dry wooded areas, yet wet areas that got brought down by the dry areas. One of the major problems resulted from problems in a particular company which had many serious problems that produced electric power lines that produced the large power line fires. Even in our neighborhood, we had problems with unexpected fires.

Much of our weather had head high winds during the visit to the Summit of Black Mountain, within Monte Bello Open Space Reserve. Black Mountain has several ways to get up to the summit of Black Mountain, ranging from trails to driving up a road that has a parking area that sits on top of the San Andreas fault line from several years ago.The summit is about 2812 feet. Our house is at 8 ft above Sea level

Over the past year, Barbara and I made a 2700 mile trip from the SF Bay area where we live. That trip took us from San Francisco to Nevada, Utah, Arizona, New Mexico, and Colorado, Denver, Wyoming, and more. This sounds like too much "civilization".  However, we covered a lot of beautiful outdoor land. Plus, the climate covered a very wide range of beautiful wilderness and mountainous areas. The trip took us through a number of snowy lands, plus visits with relatives.

As you will note in the pictures, the area of Black Mountain was provided with a bit of fog around parts of the mountain during the day blowing in from the ocean as shown in the photographs.

IMG_0007.jpg

You can see the fog rolling in from the ocean in the background.
IMG_0005a.jpg
The bench mark is one of several in area. The altitude is a bit worn out.

Thanks for sharing your annual tradition each year. Have a wonderful new year.

It's nice to have a tradition to return to each year, and see what changed and what has stayed the same.

Thanks for sharing this, Bill and Barb.

Bill, I saw you post something similar a few years ago in early January and I asked my wife if she'd be interested in starting a similar tradition. On January 1st each year (only 3 or 4 years in a row, so far) we pick a different local trail to hike. This year was a 4-mile loop that had fresh snow and not a soul in sight. It was lovely! 

Thanks for inspiring me, Bill. 

KiwiKlimber said:

Bill, I saw you post something similar a few years ago in early January and I asked my wife if she'd be interested in starting a similar tradition. On January 1st each year (only 3 or 4 years in a row, so far) we pick a different local trail to hike. This year was a 4-mile loop that had fresh snow and not a soul in sight. It was lovely! 

Thanks for inspiring me, Bill. 

That's great!

Glad that others are starting outdoor traditions. Barbara and I will be going over to windy hills in a short while.

Here are a few pictures from Windy Hill.  The wind gust were from 9-18mph.  Only got a picture of the kestrel at 15mph
IMG_0014a.jpg

IMG_0021a.jpgMe on top of Windy Hill

IMG_0004a.jpg
Hang-glider catching the wind

Bill

Which Kestrel model is that and do you like it?  I am looking at a couple of models for this year's birthday present.

Phil

Phil - The one I have mostly used

is the Kestrel 550 which is a Nielsen-Kellerman device. Their atmospheric devices are generally quite good. I have used a number of their devices on a lot of projects on many continents, ranging from North and South America, Antarctica, Alaska, Japan, Mongolia, Easter Island, and many other locations.

May 22, 2022
Quick Reply