January Baldpate Adventure

10:53 a.m. on February 4, 2020 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
9,709 reviewer rep
1,580 forum posts

Despite a backlog of review work I should be doing, this trip was too pretty not to share. If you want more pics and babbling see the full version at the link.

https://lesstraveledby.net/2020/02/04/baldpate-two-nights-in-january/

If not, enjoy the short version here:

DSC05124a.jpg
Cold, clear, perfect! Not going that way, but nice view from the parking lot :)

DSC05129a.jpg
Could have used more snow under the sled, but it was great to have my Baffins in camp. Too big to strap to my pack, they are fantastic for standing around in the cold.

DSC05135a.jpg
1°F in the morning. Good thing I had my Trailspace insulated mug along! The TS hat too!!

DSC05147a.jpg
Time to climb. Mountain, not trees.

DSC05150a.jpg

DSC05157.jpg
Climbing wear.

DSC05165.jpg
Summit wear.

DSC05178a.jpg

DSC05189a.jpg
Relaxing back at the LT after lunch.

DSC05192a.jpg
Donuts almost gone so its time to pack up and head down. Three great days in the sunshine and snow were enough at these temps so I didn't mind too much.

Hope you're getting out where and when you can. We've been making the most of what snow we get and expect to hit the trails running come Spring. Something about taking off heavy boots and snowshoes makes the feet feel lighter for some reason :)

11:12 a.m. on February 4, 2020 (EST)
447 reviewer rep
427 forum posts

Looks and sounds like you had lots of fun...and quiet. Can't beat that. Nice photos too.

I hope you can get the tent back.

11:13 a.m. on February 4, 2020 (EST)
73 reviewer rep
4,077 forum posts

There is something very rewarding about going out there in winter with no one around and being pretty comfortable.  I do not take the cold as well as my younger days.  Enjoy it while you can.  

My favorite style is with a sled pulled by my dog and xc skis. 

2:47 p.m. on February 4, 2020 (EST)
4,158 reviewer rep
1,557 forum posts

Looks like you had more snow and more sun than us LS. Thanks for the report and photos. I still think you need a pair of blue snow pants to go for the cookie monster look...tgen you can justify carrying more cookies as well as donuts! 

3:16 p.m. on February 4, 2020 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
3,278 reviewer rep
2,297 forum posts

nice...yeah I bet those Baffins are much better than my trail runners with sock, plastic bag, and sock. That works for moving but not for standing. :)

4:58 p.m. on February 4, 2020 (EST)
125 reviewer rep
3,523 forum posts

Looks like a nice sled (polk).

Always like your TRs, LStranger, don't let equipment reviews get in the way of your travels and TRs:)  Other than my own memories from WAY back, your prose and photos are the most compelling reminder of what I love about winter camping in the North East.  I can almost hear the quiet emanating from there, while reading your post, here, in So Cal.

That light footed feeling - Sometimes when skiing on a heavy snow day, removing my pack and skiis at the end of the day creates a sensation that feel literally like I am about to lift off from the ground like a balloon; there's even a inner ear sensation of floating.  Weird.   

Ed

5:32 p.m. on February 4, 2020 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF TOP 25 REVIEWER
2,008 reviewer rep
4,475 forum posts

Beautiful pictures, LoneStranger!

I'm sorry you lost your tent though and hope it finds its way back to you.

7:42 p.m. on February 4, 2020 (EST)
9,709 reviewer rep
1,580 forum posts

Alicia said:

Beautiful pictures, LoneStranger!

I'm sorry you lost your tent though and hope it finds its way back to you.

It wasn't a great tent and now maybe I'll be motivated to get a better tent for the winter season. Bums me out that it was so close to coming back to me though. Two people on the FB group saw it, but it went home with someone who apparently either can't find me or isn't trying.

9:48 a.m. on February 6, 2020 (EST)
59 reviewer rep
6 forum posts

Enjoyed the read and the link to figure out what happened to the tent. Our snow conditions are never in doubt in the high country of Colorado this time of the year and night does come soon and stay long. A paper book book is worth the weight when stuck in the tent for 12 hours but "donuts" are a first :)

9:42 p.m. on February 6, 2020 (EST)
1,310 reviewer rep
429 forum posts

whomeworry said:

That light footed feeling - Sometimes when skiing on a heavy snow day, removing my pack and skiis at the end of the day creates a sensation that feel literally like I am about to lift off from the ground like a balloon; there's even a inner ear sensation of floating.  Weird.   

Ed

After our 20 mile forced march in basic training, taking off packs & boots and putting sneakers on had me feeling the same way, like I was walking 4’ off the ground. 

April 10, 2020
Quick Reply