Open main menu

Ruby Mountains

We're just back from a ten day trip to the Ruby Mountains in northeastern Nevada, with stops at the South Ruby Wildlife Refuge, Angel Lake, and Lamoille Canyon.  

What a spectacular area!  We loved the refuge--and lost count of the number of different birds we saw.  Angel Lake (with hikes to Smith Lake and almost to Winchell Lake--gotta read the whole story) was wonderful. 

But all of that paled in comparison to Lamoille Canyon and the hikes we took there:  Thomas Creek, Island Lake, and Liberty Pass to Liberty Lake.  Stunning scenery, more beaver ponds than we'd ever seen in our lives, excellent fishing, and did we mention spectacular scenery? 

Yep. 

This was a treat.  The whole trip report is here: 

https://www.backpackthesierra.com/post/the-ruby-mountains

including a link to way too many photos.  But it was so stunning...

Shhh.    I had some birder friends out to Ruby Marshes.  They counted 84 species in a couple of hours.  We used to drink gin and fly kites on air mattresses and see where we ended up. 

A couple of years ago hiking in the Rubies over Liberty Pass was the scene of the great steak and lobster dinner at 9,800 feet.  We had a group of six and felt young compared to all of the guys in their 70s humping frame packs and dry ice at 10,000 feet. 

Nevada has lots of secret places.  Most people pay no attention to it which is okay with me.  Mostly I just tell them its cactus and rocks. 

balzaccom said:

We're just back from a ten day trip to the Ruby Mountains in northeastern Nevada, with stops at the South Ruby Wildlife Refuge, Angel Lake, and Lamoille Canyon.  

What a spectacular area!  We loved the refuge--and lost count of the number of different birds we saw.  Angel Lake (with hikes to Smith Lake and almost to Winchell Lake--gotta read the whole story) was wonderful. 

But all of that paled in comparison to Lamoille Canyon and the hikes we took there:  Thomas Creek, Island Lake, and Liberty Pass to Liberty Lake.  Stunning scenery, more beaver ponds than we'd ever seen in our lives, excellent fishing, and did we mention spectacular scenery? 

Yep. 

This was a treat.  The whole trip report is here: 

https://www.backpackthesierra.com/post/the-ruby-mountains

including a link to way too many photos.  But it was so stunning...

Impressive and beautiful trip

Looks like a wonderful place 

Bob Scott campground east of Austin is one of my favorites.  It has 7 camp sites.  Usually there is no one there.  Great views of Toiyabe Peak which is around 13,000 feet.  I have fond memories of eating King crab legs with a bottle of Chardonnay with my sweetheart a few years ago on my birthday.

Nevada is full of places that are quiet, need no reservations, and full of things to see.   It is all of that space that makes it special.  I like the mining history, wildlife, wild flowers and the great light.  You can see 100 miles or more.  Most people drive across I-80 and wonder why anyone would ever stop here?

Relatively unknown and spectacular...this is being added to my list!

ppine said:

Bob Scott campground east of Austin is one of my favorites.  It has 7 camp sites.  Usually there is no one there.  Great views of Toiyabe Peak which is around 13,000 feet.  I have fond memories of eating King crab legs with a bottle of Chardonnay with my sweetheart a few years ago on my birthday.

Nevada is full of places that are quiet, need no reservations, and full of things to see.   It is all of that space that makes it special.  I like the mining history, wildlife, wild flowers and the great light.  You can see 100 miles or more.  Most people drive across I-80 and wonder why anyone would ever stop here?

It's all changed, now, PPine.  There are nine sites. 

May 22, 2022
Quick Reply