Open main menu

2020 Baxter State Park Trips

I managed to get up to BSP three times this year and each trip was a different sort of adventure.

In July we reserved 4 nights, but only stayed for two. We've camped during bug season before and dealt with plagues of black flies and skeeters bravely. This time the mosquitoes were too much. Instant bite on land let them eat through permethrin treated clothing. We did manage this fun hike up Trout Brook Mtn which we'd never done before.

DSC06246.jpg
Grand Lake Matagamon

In August we booked three nights at Chimney Pond to increase our odds of getting a good summit day for Mini Stranger's first attempt at Greatest Mountain followed by two nights to relax at Martin Ponds after.

DSC06401.jpg
Chimney Pond

Great weather for the first day meant we got the hard part done and relaxed the other day instead of hiking.

DSC06465.jpg

Martin Ponds was where the real relaxing was though.

DSC06498.jpg

Some nice views too!

Baxter with family and friends is always nice, but there is something special about being out there in the interior alone. This Fall I took inspiration from Sean's planned visit to head up for a solo loop after meeting up with his crew the first night. Very glad I did because it was a real adventure.

DSC06908a.jpg
Whiddon Pond

DSC06947a.jpg
NW Basin

DSC06961a.jpg
Frosty tablelands

DSC06956a.jpg
Greatest  Mountain

So many other places to go, but I'm glad there was time for a few trips up there this year. If you want to see more pics from this last trip I posted a bunch here: http://lesstraveledby.net/2020/10/26/early-oct-baxter-loop-in-pictures/

Some gorgeous photos of some truly unique places. I wish I had spent more time up there.

Great pictures, LoneStranger!

Thanks for compiling this recap and showing how many great peaks and ponds there are in Baxter. You managed to hit a lot of spots this year.

Thanks for sharing, I’d love to visit Martin Pond!

The Martin Ponds LT is a beautiful site, but easily accessible being only a few miles of mostly flat trail from the tote road. It attracts families and less experienced backpackers which seems to have led to breeding super mice. They ate one of my wool shirts a couple years back. This year, while Frau Stranger was staying there on a solo meditation retreat, they ate through her food bag while it was hanging on the bear line.

Very pretty spot to sit still and watch the mountain change, but a bear canister is probably a good idea :)

LoneStranger said:

The Martin Ponds LT is a beautiful site, but easily accessible being only a few miles of mostly flat trail from the tote road. It attracts families and less experienced backpackers which seems to have led to breeding super mice. They ate one of my wool shirts a couple years back. This year, while Frau Stranger was staying there on a solo meditation retreat, they ate through her food bag while it was hanging on the bear line.

Very pretty spot to sit still and watch the mountain change, but a bear canister is probably a good idea :)

Thanks for the warning!

It is fascinating how critter behavior varies across locations.  I had experiences in the High Sierra and high deserts of California where the ground appeared alive under the full moon, so numerous were the voles and mice.  I never had problems with them - They seem to adhere to a strict local seed and grass diet.  The Sierra squirrels and marmots are another matter, they'll steal your food, gnaw chunks out of blue foam mats and chew holes in your sleeping bag or anything else with salt on it.

Black flies:  We are lucky out here, to have few venues where black and deer flies are an issue.  

Ed

whomeworry said:

Black flies:  We are lucky out here, to have few venues where black and deer flies are an issue.  

You are lucky!

November 30, 2020
Quick Reply