Open main menu

Cohos SOBO Thru 2021

I fell in love with the Cohos four years ago when I first stepped on to the trail at the Canadian border with New Hampshire. Each year since I have hiked the first 90 miles or so down to Stark. This year I was feeling oddly spry for an old fat man and decided to keep going.

DSC07784.jpg
Fourth Connecticut Lake - the start/end of the Cohos

DSC07990.jpg
Near the top of Edmands Path in the Whites

DSC08073.jpg
The end already? Where to next?

I posted some reports to my blog from my hammock and finished up when I got home Tuesday. Rather than rewrite everything here I will direct you to the page linked below. It has links to each day's report all in one place to make it easier to follow.

This was an amazing hike on an amazing trail. Ask if you want any into about doing it yourself or if you want to go with me when I do it again next Fall :)

http://lesstraveledby.net/cohos-trail-2021-sobo-solo-thru/

From just your pictures you have taken I can see why you love this trail.Its a pretty trail. This a busy trail or not that many know about the trail.? I looked up the website and shared your trip report on my fb page for hikers I have as friends. 

I think I mentioned in one or more of the daily reports that I was sleeping alone every night. There are very few people actually thru hiking the Cohos at any given time. I met one NOBO hiker on day 2 and then never found any more NOBOs as I headed south. I may have missed them on trail or there just might not have been any. I asked every person I met with an overnight pack and most didn't know they were on the Cohos heh.

In the north, above Stark, the trails are full of yellow Cohos blazing but few people, and people you meet, day hikers or people sitting on their porch as you walk by, know about the Cohos. In the south, the Kilkenny and White Mtn regions, you meet a lot more day hikers and almost no one has heard of the Cohos. Some thought I was a lost AT hiker and others probably thought I was a crazed bum heh.

Despite the empty nature of the trail and the solitude, there are rules that must be followed to avoid having the trail access taken away. In the south it is just normal WMNF rules. Up north the trail is mostly on private and state lands so no fires and you have to camp at designated places or go off trail to a campground, B&B, cabin, etc. It isn't like the AT where you can just set up everywhere because no one cares. Private land owners can take away access and then we have to road walk so I try to always emphasize following the rules as much as you can.

We came home early from Baxter due to the weather being unbearable so I may start putting out the videos soon. Those will have you drooling if you like lightly traveled northwoods trails.

Day 1

Good video LS and yes This trail is interesting can see why you like it..

The views get better as you go, but the SOBO start has a special feel to it because it is so remote. After driving so many hours to get there you have a sense of remoteness even on the highway, especially with the border still closed.

Day 2

Day 3 started with a 2am thunderstorm that put on an incredible light show. It also included the first chance of three chances to buy a sandwich on trail :)

Day 4 was mostly roads and ATV trails, but still had some pretty spots. Also had a hot shower at the end so definitely a good day!

Day 5 started with a deer and a moose so you know it was a good day. Last video for a while because we're going backpacking for the week. Will work on the rest of the hike when I can.

Day 6 had some amazing bird song, fantastic views and some top notch complaining.

Day 7 was mostly forest walking through the Nash Stream area. Very green and oh so many birds singing!

Day 8 was supposed to be wet from rain. Instead it was wet from 200% humidity and climbing up mountains. Some very pretty forest along the way!

Video 4 and % with the Ferns remind me of parts of Penssylvania on the AT.I just caught up to all your videos and I like the morning dilalog its like were having a cup of coffee and talking trail. This is a cool trail system LS I been posting this on my FB page for hikers to find out about it. I had 1 ask and said he had to look it up. BUT its has alot to offer people...

Day 9 was a short day of just a few miles to reach the Stark Village Inn for a nero. There were a few pretty spots along the way though!

denis daly said:

Video 4 and % with the Ferns remind me of parts of Penssylvania on the AT.I just caught up to all your videos and I like the morning dilalog its like were having a cup of coffee and talking trail. This is a cool trail system LS I been posting this on my FB page for hikers to find out about it. I had 1 ask and said he had to look it up. BUT its has alot to offer people...

I try to remember to say good morning and good night in camp, though some days I forget or am in a hurry. The goal is to frame the rest of the day which is generally entirely shots of the trail without my face in the way ruining the views heh.

Thanks for sharing the trail with your people Denis. The Cohos is sort of an unknown gem even to people in NH. One of my reasons for making the videos is to get more folks out there. The section we adopted was logged a few years ago and is full of berries and ferns that are trying to swallow the trail. I need people to get out there and walk on it so I know where to do trail work when I go :p

LoneStranger said:

denis daly said:

I try to remember to say good morning and good night in camp, though some days I forget or am in a hurry. The goal is to frame the rest of the day which is generally entirely shots of the trail without my face in the way ruining the views heh.

Thanks for sharing the trail with your people Denis. The Cohos is sort of an unknown gem even to people in NH. One of my reasons for making the videos is to get more folks out there. The section we adopted was logged a few years ago and is full of berries and ferns that are trying to swallow the trail. I need people to get out there and walk on it so I know where to do trail work when I go :p

Im am going to share this in a Fb Hiking group that may change the dinamics for you on trail...

denis daly said:

Im am going to share this in a Fb Hiking group that may change the dinamics for you on trail...

So long as they are the sort of folks who respect the rules we'd love to have them out there. The sort that want to camp anywhere and start fires in front of No Fire signs you should keep it a secret from :)

Day 10 is when the real adventure began. I'd hiked the trail up to this point several times, but never ventured on into the Kilkenny. Some great views in this section, though I started to meet day hikers. After over a week alone it was strange to see people on trail :)

This day was the second half of the Kilkenny traverse hitting Terrace Mtn, Mt Weeks, Middle and South Weeks, Waumbek and finally Starr King late in the day.

Lonestranger,

I was just talking with whomeworry, about the importance staying active and challenging ourselves as we get older and have physical challenges. 

You deserve some credit for finding a route that got you energized enough to keep going.   This is important.  We have to find places to go and things to do that get us motivated to overcome the inertia of every day life. 

Hats off to you. 

ppine said:

Lonestranger,

I was just talking with whomeworry, about the importance staying active and challenging ourselves as we get older and have physical challenges. 

You deserve some credit for finding a route that got you energized enough to keep going.   This is important.  We have to find places to go and things to do that get us motivated to overcome the inertia of every day life. 

Hats off to you. 

Thanks man! I've been working hard at fighting off inertia for a decade now and am amazed at what I can do at 58 that I couldn't do at 48 or even 56 for that matter heh. I know that it will all end some day and I will have to stay home and grow tomatoes, but for as long as I can I intend to keep trying to do more, not less :)

Day 12 started out great with a sub sandwich at 9am but ended with some challenges as first my pack broke and then I did heh.

Day 13 started with 5am thunder on top of a mountain which really got me moving. It also was the day I really wanted to quit but didn't :)

Day 14 had some windy but amazing views on the trip up to the Crawford Path ridge and down into the Dry River Wilderness.

Day 15 was supposed to be hot and sunny so naturally it rained all morning.

Spoiler alert: I finished the trail this year :) Some nice, but windy views from Mt Crawford on the way down after thunderstorms rolled through during the night.

May 22, 2022
Quick Reply