5668862B-955C-4AFA-973B-686B09CA5B42.jpg
Near Lake Canassaga with 2 of my brothers 

0DAFFFAF-867A-44D5-BB34-0D13FAE41B90.png
with my nephew and great nephew 

9704BA07-6AEE-4F62-8E4D-0A9C6FE91AE6.jpg
just outside of Brevard NC

hiking-2016-093.jpg
Glory Hole waterfall Arkansas 

Here are a few things I saw on hikes and walks this fall, mostly in Maine.

Thanks for the reminder of the wonderful things all around us, John. Sometimes I forget until I look back at pictures.

IMG_5729a-2000.jpg
aster flower
IMG_5156a-2000.jpg
Cedar Waxwings
IMG_8838a-2000.jpg
fall foliage in stream
IMG_0460a-2000.jpg
Golden-crowned Kinglet

IMG_0457a-2000.jpg
Downy Woodpecker

IMG_0760a-2000.jpg

p.s. I moved your thread over to Trip Reports, since it is very much on topic!

20210716_131714.jpg
The Sierra Nevada from on high
20210717_105232.jpg
from the outskirts of Bridgeport, CA
P1050488---Copy.jpg
Hoover Dam

Alicia - those are so good I do believe they are post cards,  I especially liked the Golden-Crowned Kinglet absolutely beautiful 

btw- the pictures help a lot they give so much when life has you stuck, something to dream about and it was a picture of Desoto Falls in a book (The most Scenic Drives in America) that got me into hiking and backpacking. I went to see it that 1st time and knew I’d like hiking 

JR that was about as good as it gets for a flight or flights. nice!

Thank you, John!

I often find myself surprised to recall the many things I've seen and done while looking at pictures I took. The moment immediately comes back to me, and I'm reminded of how much beauty I've been able to see and appreciate.

Good idea! I take the spirit of the thing to mean something cool and unexpected or serendipitous encountered on the way to the trailhead. I've got bazillions of photos taken during hikes, but those taken on the way are fewer and more random.

Two journeys come to mind. On the way to Hornstrandir, our first multiday hike in Iceland in 2019, an artsy shrine encountered during a morning run on the Reykjavik waterfront:

IMG_0295.jpg
Note the Santa sitting on the moon. Seems timely!
IMG_0297.jpg
Also with a Pagan element

And then the group of fellow travelers from Germany/Austria that we teamed up with at the airport to rent a van and road trip north after our mutual flight was cancelled due to high winds, all of us headed to the same trailhead on Hornstrandir via plane/boat. 

IMG_0308.jpg

"Big Max" with the light green t-shirt has stayed in touch and has been planning to come visit us in Norway for the last two summers, held up by Covid. Maybe next summer!

And then, on the way to drop off our car at our exit trailhead for a hike in the Wind Rivers, we encountered the very beginnings of the big-ish Cliff Creek Fire. Had to turn around and drive 5 extra hours, holed up in a motel and finished the drive early the next morning, when we saw but did not get pictures of some pronghorns. Stuff happens!

IMG_5299.jpg
IMG_5305.jpg

Impressive wildfire pictures, BigRed.

I try to take pictures of the random and some might say mundane things I see when running or on more casual hikes and walks, etc., especially if I'm in a new place. So I end up with stuff like this:

IMG_6530.jpg
School mural, Colorado Springs
IMG_7435.jpg
Portland (the other one in Oregon) garbage can

IMG_9167a.jpg
frozen tire tracks on dirt road the other morning (when I should have carried some traction)

IMG_9291a.jpg
View from chairlift this past Saturday

IMG_9394a.jpg
Better view from same chairlift this past Sunday

I upgraded to an iPhone 13 Pro (from a much older 7) this fall, solely to take better pictures during my everyday happenings.

May 16, 2022
Quick Reply