ACR Firefly PRO Solas

Current Retail: $70.00
Historic Range: $62.99-$80.00
Reviewers Paid: $70.00
Size 4.4 x 2.2 x 1.2 in / 11.7 x 5.7 x 2.8 cm
Weight 2.39 oz / 68 g (without batteries)
Operation Manual ON/OFF switch
Waterproof Factory tested to 33 ft / 10 m
Lamp LED – cool white
Strobe Intensity 41 Candela (Strobe)
Strobe Visibility over 3 miles
Strobe Flash Rate 60 P/M +/-
Strobe Operation 56 hours
Certification SOLAS, USCG, MED, IMO LSA, CE

Lightweight and practical! A serious consideration for safety!

Pros

• Affordable
  • Waterproof
  • Multi Tasking
  • Comes with Velcro strap to attach to backpack

Cons

• Somewhat bulky
  • For maximum lightweight, uses Lithium batteries that are expensive

I purchased this a few months ago from ACR where I had previously purchased their PLB. This is a very bright strobe light that can be activated for rescue in dark woods, at night or during the day. It weighs a little over four ounces with alkaline batteries and even less with the longer lasting and lighter lithium batteries. Up to 56 hours of strobe and about 20 steady light on. Visible up to three miles!

Has settings of strobe, steady-on, and sos.

156DA5CA-CA49-4214-802C-B40B8C4B6534.jpg

BCE3570B-B7BF-4833-BBDF-B35077C3C93C.jpg

673A63C4-465A-4035-AAAA-EC8EBE051E31.jpg

FC2DF0EF-FAB2-43EC-93F6-B2A448CC8344.jpg

9AACCC7B-562A-4B9F-B149-C5D496B3718D.jpg

Experience

Fortunately, I have only taken this on several backpacking trips but not had to deploy the strobe. Having recently moved back to Georgia and now section hiking the AT, I was surprised by how much forest and closed in woods that is present in the beginning of the AT. I believe this is a useful product and safety tool to have in event of an emergency and might even scare off a bear (unless the bear is wearing a very dark pair of Ray-Ban sunglasses).

I hope you don't ever have to update us on how this emergency strobe works for you, Bryan. Good luck!

Dr. Bryan Ryles

Thanks, Alicia, and thanks for posting. Appreciate the extra research/info you provided on the review. Your hope is mine as well!

Thank you, Bryan!

Michael -Survival Intuition

"It is better to have and not need then to need but not have." Careful with using it as a bear deterrent. That may work on a Black Bear but do that to a Grizzly Bear and you just challenged him to a fight. Which reminds me of a true story, an article that was written in the Herald. It reads the same no matter which way you look at it. "Bear attacks Marine...Lives to tell about it."

Dr. Bryan Ryles

Michael, thanks, and that’s a great line….I was actually joking about using it to scare off a bear, and have a strong desire to avoid being within a 25 mile radius of a grizzly. I’ve encountered a few black bears in the Sequoias and have a healthy respect for them. As a former Boy Scout, I have a tendency to live and breath “ Be Prepared, “ to the downfall and lightening of my wallet.

Michael -Survival Intuition

"I will do my duty to God and the King. I will do my best to help others, whatever it costs me. I know the scout law, and will obey it." -original Boy Scouts oath... Nice to see a fellow Scout Doc. I actually still have my original Boy Scouts handbook in my truck, though tbh I only use the SAS survival handbook, or the military training books. Ironically i never have been attacked by your typical wild animals & been near bears, & elks & what not but it seems it's birds that hate me. Been attacked by wild turkeys, Geese, and a Swan, and crow... on a tangent, there is this park in queens I went to where all the squirrels will follow you, stand in front of you, and at times even jump on your lap and stare at you, waiting to be fed. Seems so many new yorkers feed them, that they have been kind of domesticated at that park.

Dr. Bryan Ryles

Michael, thank you for the Boy Scout oath, especially, “ …do my best to help others, whatever it costs me….” Since I overindulge in gear that I mostly may not need, or strive to lighten my backpack, now that the original Boy Scout oath indicated it is quite alright to “ help gear manufactures and retail outlets, no matter what it costs me….,” my wallet and myself are greatly relieved. Please watch out for those squirrels, and perhaps wear an original Daniel Boone hat, and they may get the message.

Hanging High Hammocks Soft Shackles Review