Historic Range: $53.31
17oz / 480g
This is a really cleverly designed saw. It is compact, efficient, cuts well, and sets up easily.
- Sets up easily and quickly
- Cuts really well
- Blade tension is excellent and effective
- Good quality sharp greenwood blade
- Incredibly compact without sacrificing cutting ability or usability (possibly even improving them given the tensioning feature)
- Changing the blade can be fiddly apparently, standard replacements have to be trimmed to fit properly (at least on my 2018 model) if you want a dry wood or new greenwood blade
- Pricey compared to standard bowsaws
This is a really cleverly designed saw. It folds up to far more compact (if a little long) than other bucksaws/bowsaws, and the way it folds protects the teeth and other gear in my pack. The best part, however, is the way it tensions: as the saw unfolds, the one part of the handle hinges onto itself, creating a lever which keeps the blade tensions really high (and can be adjusted). I have found this makes for excellent performance, especially when compared with conventional bow saws which rely on wing nuts for tension.
I have used this for some trail clearing and firewood/camp chores, the compactness and good cutting performance really sold me on it. It comes with a greenwood blade which cuts well. Apparently it can take standard blade replacements (with some minor modification) though I have not tried this myself as my blade is still fairly sharp. However, this would allow for a dry wood blade if one desired.
It unfolds really easily, has no loose parts (unlike traditional bucksaws which are similarly compact but take a while to set up and tension and have multiple parts), sets up really fast, feels really solid to use and cuts very well.
I have used this for just over a year. I have also used many other camp saws, bucksaws, and bowsaws.
Source: bought it new
Price Paid: ~$70 CAD
- Good choice of blades
- Folds small for its cutting ability
- Only comes in one size
I picked one up having tried one on a bushcraft course. Cuts through soft and hardwood very efficiently. Safe and easy to carry around camp.
Bushcraft instructor for the Scouts in the UK.
Source: bought it new
Price Paid: $100 ?