Ahnu Sugarpine Boot

photo: Ahnu Sugarpine Boot hiking boot

Price Current Retail: $140.00
Historic Range: $35.99-$140.00
Reviewers Paid: $99.93-$120.00

Nice looking and waterproof boot that runs a little small. I never could tie them so that they didn't hurt my ankle.

Pros

• Waterproof
  • Stylish
  • Good sole

Cons

• Runs a little small
  • Painful tongue

I like the look of this boot and how it kept my foot totally dry after hiking in the rain all day. They run a little small. I usually wear 9.5, but get 10 in boots to account for swelling. I should have got a 10.5, as these rubbed my toes after hiking a few hours. So if you try them on in the store, keep in mind that your feet will naturally swell a little and you will need extra room.

The tongue digs into my ankle no matter how I tie the laces. The tongue is connected to the boot, to keep it waterproof. But the fold made by the connection digs into my ankle very painfully. I tried multiple ways to keep it from digging, but to no avail. I have small legs and ankles with narrow feet, so this may have made it worse. I had bruises after a few hours, so I ended up sticking out the tongues and tying the laces behind them just so I could walk.

These were comfortable as far as the insole is concerned. I really didn't need to break them in, and hiked around without doing so. Good ankle support, I didn't have any trouble with my ankles moving around or possibly rolling them.

Great water protection! I wore these hiking in the cold rain for seven hours and was stomping through puddles and my feet stayed dry and warm all day. I was very surprised how well these are waterproof.

I would recommend these, but caution to wear them around for a little bit before making a decision and be sure to order a size up.

Welcome to Trailspace, Mary! Thanks for taking the time to share your experience with these Ahnu boots. Do you have any pictures of yours you could show others in your review? Also, have you been able to continue hiking comfortable in them?

Adam Logan

My mom loves these shoes. She just ordered a second pair of these yesterday as we happened to be near REI on an errand. She hasn't done multi-day hiking with them but does brisk walks with the dog. Here in Oregon, we get plenty of "opportunities" to test the waterproofness of our gear. She says she feels like it's magic how her feet stay dry. The only con is she said her feet tended to be cold, but she had a similar experience of buying a size or two too small. She couldn't wear wool socks before and had to wear other socks. Now that she's gone up in size she should be able to. I'll report back if wearing wool socks will make the difference for her. I don't think she has experienced the heel pain that you have but I'll ask.

Good, but didn’t last, though I would purchase again.

Pros

• Very comfortable
  • Waterproof
  • Ankle support

Cons

• Stitching came out on sides

I really like the fit of the boot. It does run a bit small and is not great if you have wide feet. It only lasted one three-week trek on the EBC and barely as the stitching started coming out on the side of the palm of foot.

Love the look but don’t expect it to last very long if you do serious hikes. Has great arch and ankle support. They are meant for warmer weather but kept my feet plenty warm in below freezing temps.

Experience

Second pair I have owned. First pair I had for about a year just doing a couple hours every weekend and the second pair I used for a three-week trek on EBC.

Welcome to Trailspace, Amy.

1 year ago