ALPS Mountaineering Blaze 0

Total Weight 5 lbs 5 oz 6 lbs 7 oz
Stuff Sack Size 13 x 20.5 in 14 x 23.5 in

Version reviewed: Large

Big & Comfy

Pros

• Warm
  • Good value
  • Good for side sleeper
  • Great for car camping

Cons

• Packs large

Compare to 5 gal bucket
Wide

I purchased another inexpensive winter bag and after a few nights realized that the only thing the liner wouldn't stick to is bare skin. And, well, let's face it, why use a bag you have to crawl out of without clothes when the temp is down into single digits? Not me anyway.

I've seen this brand at REI for several years and took a closer look. For the price, it was an excellent value. It has baffles around the neck, a decent zipper with a baffle, and dual adjustments on the hood. Build quality looks excellent. I haven't had the chance to get outdoors with it. but a quick zip indoors and I was toast in a minute. I've no doubt I'll be good down to zero, maybe more since I can layer up.

The best thing for me is the size. I'm a big guy,  6'2" tall and a side sleeper so mummy bags don't always work. This one is a full 36" across (72" girth) but it feels bigger. I can easily turn over with the bag fully zipped. And it's plenty long for me. As you can see from the photo, it is HUGE! That's a 5 gallon bucket. A water bottle didn't seem like a fair comparison.

There's no way you'd backpack with it, but it might work in a pulk or snow machine towed sled. This is strictly a car camping bag for me. I've made the commitment to refrain from using my camp trailer hunting since the roads beat it up so bad. It does mean I need a good bag and I am sure this one will do the trick!

Experience

Been using sleeping bags since the early '70s when Dad brought home a USMC surplus down mummy bag for me. Used that until it fell apart at the seams!

Enjoy the new bag, Bob!

1 month ago

Arctic Lynx Maternity Activewear Midweight T-shirt Review

Sea to Summit Trek TK II Review

Six Days from Mineral King to Mt Whitney

Black Diamond Sabretooth Crampons Review

MSR Miox Review

Trailspace at the testing grounds