ALPS Mountaineering Orion 1

I'm pretty sure ALPS no longer makes this tent, but…

Design: 3 season free-standing double wall
Ease of Setup: easy 10-minute setup
Weight: 3.5 pounds

I'm pretty sure ALPS no longer makes this tent, but I can't for the life of me understand why. For the money, it can't be beat. It's lightweight, easy to set up and tear down, very comfortable (plenty of room for a 6 foot-plus camper, including being able to sit up inside) and is very durable.

I have used this tent for a few years now, and have even been through several downpours without getting even damp. The only thing I would change would be to have a larger vestibule (it doesn't fit an entire full-sized backpack, so if it's raining you'll need to find cover for the part of your pack sticking out).

Still, with or without the rain fly, this is a great little tent. If you can still find this tent, buy it!

The Orion 1 has been discontinued.

The ALPS Mountaineering Orion 1 is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen August 24, 2007 at REI.

Six Moon Designs Silver Shadow Review