A solid pack for the extended trip. Plenty of space…

Price Paid: Got it as a gift

Summary

A solid pack for the extended trip. Plenty of space with accessible pockets and an easy to get to rainfly make this a good pack.

Pros

• Lots of space
  • External straps to add extra, larger gear
  • Solid adjustments to fit the taller backpacker

Cons

• It has separated at a seam; repaired, but don’t think it should have separated.
  • Size might be a little large for a weekend trip.

I have been using this pack for the better part of two years, and we go camping about once a month (weekends) and one week-long trip in the summer and one-week long trip in the winter. I have reduced my load considerably and the pack continues to deliver.

It is easy to wear, easily adjustable. I’m 6'4" and have found this to fit me nicely where other packs ride too high. The lower section I use for bedding and it is very easy to access without disturbing the rest of the load.

Hiking in the rain is no problem, even with my additional bedroll strapped to the side. I simply place the adjustable rainfly over the whole ensemble and everything has stayed dry.

The only downside I have it that the seam separated just above the lower section. I am not aggressive with my gear so I was surprised to see the developing hole. After a week on the trail, it had grown to about 3 inches. Using quadruple thread, the area could only be hand sewn. Hopefully, the repair holds and it doesn’t open again.

I’ve successfully migrated away from bins and have relied solely on this pack for the past 6 months. It does just as well in the heat or down to mid 30s.

There is an integrated whistle on the center chest strap that I think is a nice feature to add, but have yet to personally use it. So far it has tested well before each trip.

Welcome to Trailspace, Mike! Thanks for sharing a review of your Alps backpack. Do you have any pictures of it you'd be willing to share in your review, perhaps of the seam rip?

Thanks, Mike!

The ALPS Mountaineering Quadrant 4900 is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen October 31, 2015 at REI.

Katadyn BeFree 0.6L Review