Asolo Power Matic 100 GV

rated 4.0 of 5 stars (1)
photo: Asolo Power Matic 100 GV backpacking boot

Price Reviewers Paid: $125.00

Asolo is quality gear. These boots are great for heavy loads and for rocky ground. If you're looking for a durable boot with mountaineering capabilities, these might be a good option.

Pros

• Stiff for heavy loads
  • Easy to get on/off due to roller lace guides
  • Protective

Cons

• Stiff (if you're not carrying a heavy load)
  • A little heavier than some boots

20170929_105745.jpg

Asolo makes great boots. I know several guys who've taken this brand as their brand of choice for a tour of duty over in the Middle East, more than once. That says a lot about quality and durability. So I bought these Power Matics based on features and design.

They are equipped with roller lace guides, so they tighten evenly across your foot. The sole is durable and the shank is stiff. Just what I thought I wanted for backpacking with a heavy pack. I was right, with one exception. The very stiff boot tends to rub a blister on my heel pretty quickly.

Now, in fairness, I have narrow heels and wide forefeet, so I don't have the shape of foot most bootmakers use to build boots. So here I am with a very stiff pair of boots, which are great on the trail, but give me blisters on my heels. The solution? Tape my heels before I backpack. Works great and my feet are steady and sure all the time.

These boots have a nice shank and the midsole insulates your foot from sharp rock edges and bumps along the trail. Grip is good and there is less slickness in wet environments than with some other boots I've had.  They are waterproof as delivered, though, so your feet won't get wet in shallow creeks, mudholes, and the like.  It's kind of cool to step into a puddle, see the boot immerse, and then see it bone dry on the outside when you pull your foot out.  The DWR coating on these boots is that good.

As I said, these are great boots but know ahead of time they're designed for heavy loads in rough terrain. If you have trouble like I do with heel slip, these may give you blisters. Tape solves my issue, along with powder and liner socks.

Alternately, I have a lighter pack setup for some uses (but it doesn't haul meat or a big freight load of stuff like I sometimes need), and for those treks, I have a less stiff pair of boots to use. Those are either Karrimor Notus Mids or Garmont Zenith Mids, depending on which I grab.

Price Paid: $125 on sale

Thanks for the helpful review, Whitson! Do you have any pictures of your Asolos you could show others in your review? Also, I was curious about what type of tape you use on your feet.

Whitson Morgan

I just use the canvas cloth medical tape, like what athletic trainers would use to tape an ankle or such. I tear off sections about 4" long and place them around my heel, one over the other, in two layers. I'm using 4 sections, in two "rows" on my heel, double thickness. I have a nominal (half-inch) overlap of the sections top/bottom. My tape is about 2" wide, but I'd use 3" if I could find it locally, and then I'd just need 2 sections for double thickness. I like this over the other options I've tried, including moleskin, which just peels off under the slippage and is effectively useless for me. Maybe I'm just using the wrong moleskin, but I've tried both brands locally available. The trick for me is taping before I hit the trail, using powder, and liners and wool socks.

Thanks, Whitson!