Atlas Frontier 36 Series

The Frontier 36 Series has been discontinued. If you're looking for something new, check out the best backcountry snowshoes for 2022.

photo: Atlas Frontier 36 Series backcountry snowshoe

Price Historic Range: $269.99
Reviewers Paid: $270.00

Please let me qualify my 5 star rating. The shoes I'm reviewing are THE FIRST snowshoes I've ever had on my feet. Yes, I listened to the salesman say these are the best he's ever had on his feet. I took the line, hook, sinker and all!

So, I strapped them on yesterday and went for a little walk. I felt very safe, comfortable, confident and like I had made a good investment. I'm going to be using them 2-3 times a week for the next few months. I felt like I could strap on my 60 lb. pack and go for it!

The binding system is awesome, even with gloves I could pinch the releases and move out of them quickly. Putting them on is a cinch once you have the heel strap in the right place. The heel strap has a very effective latching system...simple.

As for the suspension...if you experienced snowshoers have had to put up with something less than this system for years, why didn't you invent this? I describe it as very simple, effective and straight forward. Compared to other systems I tried on in the store, this is far superior.

The components of this shoe look to be of a quality that will last for a long time, take some abuse and not let you down when you're 4 miles from the nearest shelter. I will enjoy these shoes for a long time!

Brooks Cascadia 16 Review