Bearpaw Superior

Men's
Price Reviewers Paid: $30.00-$45.00
Women's
Price Reviewers Paid: $45.00

A bargain boot that strongly delivers.

Pros

• Sturdy
  • Excellent price point
  • Well insulated
  • Good weight distribution
  • Decent waterproofing
  • Excellent traction

Cons

• Factory-provided laces are weak
  • Not the lightest boot on the market

These were acquired, from Big5 of all places, on sale for about a quarter of the price most people would buy their hiking boots for.

So far, they've stacked up tremendously. The fit, out of the box, was extremely comfortable for my caveman feet (wide and thick), and the break-in was minimal.

They've continued to feel pretty good now, months and several trips down the line. The ankle support is quality, at least for me. Never rolled anything or felt any wobbliness.

The boots aren't waterPROOF, but they resist well enough. It takes a solid dunking over at least the instep to get the boots wet, and a prolonged one to have the water reach your feet. They dry out pretty reasonably.

Traction is excellent. I've never wanted for grip on many surfaces — dirt, sand, wet and dry rock, snow. The only point they're sketchy is on ice, where anything that doesn't have studs is a little wanting.

These boots are on the warm side. They're okay in summer, but a wool/wicking sock is HIGHLY recommended or you'll drown in sweat. The boots breathe all right, but not amazingly. Prolonged wear in high temperatures will leave your feet feeling pretty warm to hot. Definitely a spring/fall boot, and usable for mild winters.

The boots have held up really well over several trips. The only weak point to report were the stock laces they came with from the store. One lake broke its outer covering the second time I used it. This is mostly the fault of the eyelets on the upper boot. They're not the widest and created a pinch point. Once replaced by something sturdier (paracord) they've been great.

Thanks for the helpful review, jiynx. About how many miles do you think you have on these so far?

jiynx

all told closing on 150 miles i want to say - they're comfortable enough i've worn them quite often in day to day usage as well as outdoors.

Thanks, jiynx.

Bearpaw boots are no longer the quality they were in the past.

Pros

• Extremely comfortable
  • Broke in easily

Cons

• No longer made well

I purchased a new pair of Bearpaw hiking boots when the ones I had for years finally gave out. After hiking in the new ones for only two months, the inside part of the right shoe collapsed, causing me to not even be able to walk properly in them.

I'm mad, and disappointed!

Experience

I owned a great Bearpaw boot in the past.
I expected my new boots to be as good. Sadly mistaken.

Thanks for sharing your experience with these boots, Tiana. Too bad it wasn't better. Do you know what model you have? https://bearpaw.com/women/hikers

Comfortable and sturdy. Can't feel rocks through the soles like I did with more expensive boots. Climbed Pacaya Volcano in Guatemala with them. I'm a professional geologist and have worn many brands.

Pros

• Inexpensive comfort
  • Durable for the price

Cons

• Obviously not the durability and quality of top of the line boots. They do wear out.

They fit well and did not require break-in. Good support and traction. Didn't feel rocks through the soles like I did with three other brands that I tested before climbing Pacaya Volcano.

Experience

I have been wearing hiking boots as a professional geologist for more than 55 years. I am now 81 years old.

Welcome to Trailspace, Fred! I bet you've covered a lot of ground as a geologist.

1 year ago

Worst boot I ever bought. Insoles tore out within one week. Poor waterproofing, feet were always damp. Eyelet design consistently wore out shoestrings.

Overall a poor product.

They are crap.

Welcome to Trailspace. DJD. Too bad about the boots. Have you found a better pair?

Not a very good hiking boot, but good for short-term use until you find something better.

Pros

• The hiking boots look nice
  • They meet a general price point—inexpensive

Cons

• Not a durable boot for use beyond once a month

I would not recommend them even for casual use. You will replace them within 2 to 3 months.

g00se

Thanks, Bob. Are these a store brand? Where do you get them?

Bob Arnold

Yes, Bearpaw is a store brand for Big 5

Welcome to Trailspace, Bob.

Good for casual use. Would not recommend for daily labor use.

• Inexpensive

Cons

• Fabric fell apart
  • Not durable

Comfortable and inexpensive. Bought them at Big 5. My husband wears then to work at Home Depot. However, within 6 months the fabric ripped right through and we had to duct tape it till he can get different boots.

g00se

Welcome to Trailspace, Lisa. Thanks for posting. Can you tell us where the rips occurred?

Welcome to Trailspace, Lisa. I'm sorry to hear your husband's boots failed. Care to share a picture in your review to show others?

Win Kora Wool Activewear for Year-Round Adventuring