Bending Branches Viper

photo: Bending Branches Viper canoe paddle

Most comfortable paddle I've used for long distance paddling. The curved shaft really makes a big difference.

Pros

• Ergonomic
  • Light
  • Tough

Cons

• Sorry, can't think of any

I purchased this canoe paddle to replace my 20-year-old Bending Branches bent paddle that finally took some damage after many miles. This one has the curved shaft as well as the bend where the paddle connects.

The curved shaft really makes a big difference for comfort, it just feels good. I also feel like I can steer better with the Viper as opposed to my old bent paddle, maybe it's just me. I used to bring a straight paddle for two people, using the straight one in back to steer, especially for river paddling. You would not think it to look the curved shaft of the Viper.

This paddle also has the rock guard all the way around the paddle's edges. My old (20 yrs old) paddle only had it on the bottom edge. The Viper also has a more rounded shape than the old one, which is sort of square at the bottom.

Everyone that picks this paddle up is amazed at how light it is. I live in Northern Minnesota, near the BWCA, and I paddle many miles a year. I bought a Bending Branches paddle shortly after my first canoe. They last for many years. I did not think about getting any other paddles for 20 years until now, and I'm glad I did finally get a new one with the improvements they've added.

IMG_0985a.jpg