Black Diamond Apex

photo: Black Diamond Apex gaiter

Well, I was looking for reviews of these gaiters online, and I couldn't find much. So, I wanted to add my findings once I purchased them.

They are narrow feeling compared to the Outdoor Research Expedition Crocs I have used in the past, but they do fit snugly over my Scarpa Inverno plastic mountaineering boots. In hindsight, the OR's may have been overly baggy around my boots.

Overall, the quality of materials feels good and I think they could take some abuse. The boot strap, attachments, and gaiter material seem durable.

The only part that seems a bit sketchy is the plastic clip that cinches and clips the top strap around your calf. I'm sure it will be fine and could be easily repaired, if damaged, to maintain the gaiter's usability in the field.

For the roughly $50 I paid for them, I'm happy and can't wait to use them!

Update: January 24, 2011

Well, I got the gaiters and used them for a couple days of snowshoeing and woods walking in Potter County, PA. These gaiters worked wonderfully for these pursuits.

The only complaint I do have is that they are very tight around the bottom of my Scarpa Inverno plastic double boots. I mean, the gaiters fit, but I have to pull and prod to get the velcro to meet nicely and to close the snap on the bottom of the gaiters.

Other than that, these feel like real trim, solid gaiters that can take abuse and will keep out the snow and ice!

Your Review