Q&A

Have a question about down insulated? Get answers in the gear selection forum.

My everyday puffy. I bought a medium almost 5 years…

Price Paid: 150 cad

Summary

My everyday puffy.

Pros

• Very warm
  • For athletic build
  • Short trench coat like length
  • Multiple pockets
  • Great colors
  • Excellent quality textile

Cons

• Impossible to adjust the neck collar

I bought a medium almost 5 years ago now, and couldn't be more happy for this acquisition. This jacket is a down/synthetic blend (70% down, 30% polyester), and it goes down nearly mid thigh like a short trench coat. I'm 6 ft and 155 pounds.

It has 5 pockets—1 chest, 2 hand, and 2 large inside pockets. Comes with a bag to store, which I never used. I got the red, and it still looks great (red color has a tendency to blacken at the wrist, but not this one). I almost went back to the store to buy another one.

You could use it to belay because it has two-way zippers. But it's very tight around the waist, so if you are a big guy I would suggest to try it before buying.

It's sewn through, so when it's really windy wear a light windstopper layer under. Wear it in -20°c this way and it's a warm, incredible jacket!

The only drawback is the collar, which you cannot adjust and it's pretty large for me. So when it's cold I wear a merino around my neck.

Here's Black Diamond's description:

After 60 meters of hard-fought progress brings you to the standstill that is the belay, the Black Diamond Cold Forge Hoody preserves precious warmth. Filled with PrimaLoft Gold Insulation Down Blend for the ultimate combination of warmth, packability and weather-resistance, the Cold Forge Hoody is the ideal midweight insulator for done-in-a-day winter routes and long, frigid ski tours. The adjustable, helmet-compatible hood blocks spindrift, and two drop pockets secure your climbing gloves while belaying your partner. PrimaLoft® Gold Insulation Down BlendDWR finishAdjustable, climbing-helmet-compatible hoodUnderarm gussets for added range of motionInsulated wind flapTwo internal drop pocketsZip hand-warmer pocketsLightweight stretch cuffsSingle-adjust low-profile hemPrimary fabric is bluesign approvedRDS® certified downWeight: 575 gFit: RegularSize: S-XL

DSC00839.jpg

Experience

Everyday winter wear

Nice review, Martin!

1 month ago
300winmag

Thanks for this review. LL Bean has a "Big Baffle Jacket" all down parka very similar to this and full of nice and necessary amenities for a very similar price. This BD "hybrid" of synthetic and down insulations is unusual.