Black Diamond Distance 15 Pack

rated 4.0 of 5 stars
photo: Black Diamond Distance 15 Pack daypack (under 35l)

Price MSRP: $159.95
Current Retail: $149.95-$159.95
Historic Range: $112.46-$159.95
Weight 394 g / 13.89 oz
Volume 15 L / 915 cu in
Materials UHMWPE 100d Nylon 4mm Ripstop

A spacious 15L running vest style pack that is great for all sorts of adventures.

Pros

• Seems more spacious than other 15L packs
  • Ventilated straps

Cons

• Not many sizes to choose from when I bought it, more sizes are available now

I saw this pack at a trade show and immediately knew that I needed it for my collection. The running vest style straps and pockets combined with a minimal main body creates a very useful, durable, and comfortable pack. I have used this pack for hiking, alpine scrambles, excursions into the Flatirons (carrying climbing gear), and on occasion riding my bike for transportation.

Six pockets on the straps carry all sorts of things including: sunglasses, phone, soft bottles, snacks, hats, buff, gloves, chapstick, hand sanitizer, and trash picked up from the trail. There are two slots on the main pack body that fit three-piece trekking poles  and inside the main body is a small zippered pocket and a slot for a hydration bladder. There's also attachments for carrying ice axes or tools.

I have a short torso and ordered the smallest size available at the time. The straps rubbed the top of my hip bones which was mostly ok, but became annoying after a while when the pack was heavy. A month ago I noticed that the pack size was "Large" which is definitely not what I ordered. To mitigate straps that are too long I pulled out my sewing machine and made the straps shorter. This helped, but ultimately I will probably purchase a smaller size.

This pack works best when it is not too heavy. A climbing rack makes it uncomfortable. A day's worth of food and clothing for an alpine excursion is just fine.

Experience

I have used this pack for over a year for everything except winter sports. I've used it for hiking, alpine scrambling, climbing, and general wandering around.

Source: bought via a "pro deal"
Price Paid: less than $100

Nice review of your BD pack, bwbarb! I'm guessing it's too late now, but did you ask the retailer if you could exchange the pack for the correct size?

bwbarb

I ordered direct from BD and it was over a year later when I finally noticed the pack was the wrong size. I should have inspected the pack closer when I got it but I guess I was just so excited to get out and use it that I didn't look closely. However that lesson is now learned.

Bummer. Thanks for the review though!

Final Days: Review Your Gear to Win Kora Wool Layers