Black Diamond Trail Pro

Women's
Price Current Retail: $139.95
Historic Range: $79.95-$139.95

Awesome pair from BD!

Pros

• Stainless steel locking system
  • Dual grip
  • Interchangeable flex and carbide tips
  • Snow baskets included
  • Low profile baskets included

Cons

• Somewhat expensive
  • No cork grip option

I bought these mainly because of the stainless steel locking FlickLock instead of the plastic ones that I had in another pair from some generic brand and have shown signs of crack.

Opted for the NON-SHOCK PRO model because the shocks will fail eventually, plus they "steal" power when ascending. Snow and low profile baskets are included as standard.

I would love a dual grip option with cork being the primary material and eva for the secondary grip.
BD-Trek-Pro_1.jpg

You can swap the whole Flex Tech Tip if it breaks or just the Carbide tip when it wears off quite easily. That increases the Trail Pro's value as you won't have to discard them. I bought a replacement just in case.

DSC00057.jpg

DSC00063.jpg

DSC00064.jpg

DSC00065.jpg
DSC00074.jpg
Also wouldn't mind if the second grip was ribbed instead of flat.

BD-Trek-Pro_2.jpg

I was caught off balance a couple of times and even though the poles flexed they held me without bending at all. Nice!

BD-Trek-Pro_3.jpgThe snow baskets fared well in firm snow, but not so much in powder.

BD-Trek-Pro_4.jpg
Also some numbers have faded out, but that's because the poles were exposed to seawater.
DSC00066.jpg
DSC00067.jpg
DSC00068.jpg

Experience

I've used these poles for almost six months. Not many kilometers on them but I would recommended them nonetheless.

Price Paid: 87€

Nice review of your poles, Nick! I hope you keep enjoying them. Were the snow pictures taken in Crete?

Nick Mesarhakis

Exactly, in Crete!

1 year ago

Nice! I wasn't sure how much snow you typically got in the mountains.

Nick Mesarhakis

This winter was pretty heavy and had many natural disasters such as flash floods, landslides and a couple of avalanches as well. So even if this is amount seems a lot it is not very far from the typical volume we get at this elevation.

1 year ago

This is a sturdy trekking pole that does not slip.

Pros

• Does not slip
  • Relatively light

Cons

• Foam grips may cause discoloration on hand

I've had these trekking poles for a few years and they do what they are supposed to do. I purchased these to replace a set of poles that had the plastic flicklock locking system. The earlier poles had begun to slip when I came down hard on them.

I looked at these and they have the Black Diamond Flicklock Pro locking system. This is a metal locking system which really tightens the poles so that they just do not slip. Coming down a mountain they'll hold my weight and just do not slip.

They have foam grips and are easy to adjust. I have not had any discoloration on my hands because of the foam grips, but I did meet a fellow hiker who had the Trail Shock poles and he complained that his poles caused his hands to become discolored.

These are the regular Black Diamond Trail Pro poles and so far I've had no problems with discoloration on my hands. The discoloration may be caused by any foam grip with extended use. I just don't know. However, they are what I wanted, a set of trekking poles that would not slip.

Thanks for the review of your poles, Pointman!