BlackWolf Maikoh 70

photo: BlackWolf Maikoh 70 expedition pack (70l+)

Price MSRP: $229.99
Capacity 70L
Weight 1.98 kg
Size 75 x 39 x 25 cm

Very comfortable pack with plenty of pockets to keep your goods nicely stowed. Ideal for a weekender or multiday hike

Pros

• Affordable for those on a budget
  • Lightweight under 2kg
  • Plenty of external pockets means no need for excess carabiners
  • Internal RFID pocket
  • 3 access points to main compartment
  • Plenty of compression straps to keep the pack tight

Cons

• Hydration bladder compartment could be a bit more spacious

Bought this pack when I decided to move into the long distance hiking game and it is proving to be a great decision. The Black Wolf Maikoh 70 is a very comfortable pack with plenty of storage options to keep your gear nicely stowed, ideal if you’re anything like me and hate bits and pieces dangling off your bag.

The main storage area has three entry points—top, middle and bottom—with the option of closing off the bottom section to make a separate compartment. Other compartments include two external on the top lid and one internal with RFID protection, two separate zippable front pockets, a stretch front pocket and two stretch mesh side pockets perfect for water bottles, although I like to use them for easy access to bars and trail mix on the go.

The only negative I can think of is the water bladder compartment is a bit tight even for the 1.5lt bag I use. There are plenty of compression straps to keep things tight and stable while on the move. The pack’s waist, shoulder, and sternum straps are super easy to adjust on the go, meaning it is always comfortable and supportive, important for me as I am recovering from a significant spinal injury.

Build quality seems very good although at this price point I guess something has to give, or maybe I’m just cynical.

0D7E13FE-4594-43BA-B06F-10C804B25F53.jpg
BlackWolf Maikoh 70

Experience

I am a bit of a newbie at long distance hiking, so experience is something I’m still working on. Have completed four hikes with this bag to date:12km, 16km and 2 x 21km ranging from flat gravel roads to steep rocky goat tracks. Bought mostly entry level gear as I needed to be sure the body could take the rigours of walking long distances with the extra weight, so at 15kg including water I’m probably carrying more weight than I need to.

Price Paid: $189AU