The BMS Micro rappel rack is one of the best rappel…

Source: bought it used

Summary

The BMS Micro rappel rack is one of the best rappel devices for cave use. It lasts a long time due to the stainless steel construction.

Pros

• Stainless Steel
  • Friction options
  • Smooth
  • Lighter weight and more compact than a 14" standard rack

Cons

• Not as much friction control as a full size 14" rack
  • Weight compared to aluminum devices

Not many pieces of gear last in caving. This one does. After seven years I may have to replace a bar soon.

Not only does the device last, but it works very well. I have used it to rappel down countless deep cave systems, covered it in mud and sand, and it still works.

Thanks for sharing this brand and device with us, Unknown Caver. I'd be curious to see a pic of your setup with the Micro Rack.

G00SE

I appreciate the review, UC, and I wanted to comment with a general warning that microracks have a much higher risk factor than other rappelling devices. For that reason, I advise new people against using them. Most (not all) cavers I know who started using them have gone back to using a standard rack. Scott McCrea has a useful article on the risks of microracks: http://www.cavediggers.com/microrack/Donotfeed.pdf

Unknown Caver

Yes, G00SE, feeding is bad news with a rack. There was an accident with a standard 14" rack a couple years ago due to this. Pushing a loop of rope through the device allows bars to slide down and/or pop off. Proper training is imperative!