Brunton 10B Baseplate Compass

photo: Brunton 10B Baseplate Compass handheld compass

Price Historic Range: $8.93-$13.00
Reviewers Paid: $10.99-$12.00

Really good, basic compass for begining map readers.

Pros

• Good for beginers
  • Dials well
  • Easy placement for north by using the circle needle

Cons

• No cover
  • No mag glass

I think this is a really great compass for those just starting out in the outdoors, or those just begining to read topos. It doen't have a lot of the other features that some higher end models have, which tend to scare alot of the newbies off from learning. I think it comes with a fairly good and easy to understand instructions. And the one I just bought my son, came with 5 free downloadable maps too. A plus!

Price Paid: $10.99 @ Acad

There were two major needs for this compass: 1. It must have 2 degree increments and 2. Must be able to set declination. It has both!

Pros

• Sturdy baseplate
  • 2 degree increments
  • Adjustable declination

Cons

• No tools required for adjustable declination may lead to it being adjusted by accident

I bought this compass for navigation in the backcountry. It has worked fine. I can set the declination to my area without needing any tools.

The only thing that worried me was if I would accidentally adjust the declination because there is no tool needed but I haven't had any issues with it.

For a compass for under $15 I think this is a fine addition to the Ten Essentials!

Bushka’s Kitchen Lentil Lunch Review