Cabela's Dry-Plus MXP Pants

The Cabela's Dry-Plus MXP pants are lightweight, waterproof,…

Summary

The Cabela's Dry-Plus MXP pants are lightweight, waterproof, and breathable, and work equally well as rain pants or an outer shell for snow sports. The two pockets are closed with waterproof zippers that really are waterproof. Full-length side zippers allow for easy donning over boots and ventilation.

Pros

• Excellent waterproofing and breathability
  • Full-length side zippers
  • Price

Cons

• No back or cargo pockets
  • Included suspenders slide off shoulders very easily
  • No reinforcement at hems
  • Only come in black, if colors are your thing

I've had these Cabela's Dry-Plus MXP pants for about a year now, and I just love them for snowshoeing. They stop the wind like you wouldn't believe, breathe so well that even with just silkweight polypro underneath my legs are warm to well below zero, and I've never once gotten wet through them when sitting or after having tripped over my snowshoes.

The rear of the waistband is elastic that does a decent job of keeping the pants up. There's a snap closure with zipper fly. The full-length side zippers have pulls at top and bottom, and there's a wide storm flap with a lot of Velcro over each zipper. A Velcro closure at each hem allows you to keep snow or wind out.

There's no internal gaiter, but I prefer to wear my OR Crocodiles anyway. This also makes up for the fact that there's no scuff panel or reinforcement on the insides of the lower legs. The inseam on regular sizes is 31".

The two handwarmer pockets are deep, with plenty of room for a cell phone, wallet, energy bars, gloves, etc, and have waterproof zippers. The pulls are large enough to be grasped with medium weight or lighter gloves.

Detachable elastic suspenders are included, and these attach to three loops (1 in back, 2 in front) with Velcro. The suspenders are a little TOO elastic, and the Velcro patches weren't sewn on very well on mine. I just use a pair of heavy duty Carhartt suspenders that really keep the pants from falling during the most strenuous activity.

The included suspenders also slip off my shoulders very easily, leading me to sport a "cross your heart bra" look by hooking the straps to the loops on the opposite side. Some pebble-textured rubber on the bottoms of the straps would be a good idea.

I'd like to see at least one zippered hip pocket and at least one cargo pocket on these, all with waterproof zippers. Due to the side zippers the cargo pocket(s) would have to be on the front of the thigh(s), but something big enough to hold a hat, gloves, snacks, etc, would be nice. My jacket pockets are pretty much rendered useless by my day pack's waist belt, so thigh pockets would take their place.

All in all I really like these pants, and recommend them.

Thanks for sharing this review, Phil.