Clif Cool Mint Chocolate Bar
Clif's Cool Mint Chocolate is the most flavorful Clif Bar I have encountered and has become the box I am most likely to grab off the store shelf. Filling and easy to pack, the pros slightly outweigh the cons.
- Easy to carry
- Not messy
- Contains Caffeine
- Negatively effects my digestive track
- Soy Protein Isolate
I don't particularly like Clif Bars. However, Clif does provide enough value to me that I buy them for caving and backpacking. There are tastier and healthier alternatives, but Clif Bars are readily available and superior for activities like caving.
What I Like about the Cool Mint Chocolate Bar:
- Taste okay: Clif Bars notoriously provide a tasty looking bar that winds up tasting bland. This time, they actually got some flavor in there. No, it doesn't taste like an Andes Mint, but you don't feel like you are chewing on sawdust and glue.
- Travel well: The big pro over other (tastier/healthier) bars is how well Clif Bars travel. They don't crumble apart while in a pack. They don't melt in the heat. When you open the package, the bar is in one piece. Most of us have pulled out the melted Snicker's bar out of our pack or opened the granola package to watch crumbs fall over the ground. In caving, a few crumbs on the floor are not acceptable, as they impact the delicate eco system.
- Fill & Energize: I have been underground for as long as 15 hours. That's 15 hours of constant movement. The Cool Mint Bars fill me up and give me energy (especially with the caffeine kick). The flavor helps me get 'em down.
What I don't Like About Clif Bars (in general):
- I don't know what I'm eating here. Yeah, Clif Bar follows the marketing trend of trying to sound healthy by using the word "organic" a lot, but what exactly is Soy Protein Isolate? And how healthy is Brown Rice Syrup, organic or not?
Organic Brown Rice Syrup, Organic Rolled Oats, Soy Protein Isolate, Organic Cane Syrup, Organic Roasted Soybeans, Rice Flour, Cocoa‡, Organic Soy Flour, Organic High Oleic Sunflower Oil, Organic Dried Cane Syrup, Organic Oat Flour, Organic Oat Fiber, Natural Flavors, Alkalized Cocoa‡, Organic Cocoa Butter‡, Sunflower Oil, Salt, Barley Malt Extract, Green Tea Extract (Contains Caffeine), Unsweetened Chocolate‡, Soy Lecithin, Baking Soda.
- Clif Bars really mess with my digestive track. For years, I've wondered why I am so gassy when I go caving. Recently, I made the connection that about 10 minutes after eating a Clif Bar, my gut goes into over time. On the trail, it's not a big deal. In a cave...well, as a courtesy to other cavers, I usually stay in the back of a crawlway.
Cons aside, if you are wanting actual flavor in a Clif Bar, then I recommend you try this product. I will continue to use these as needed.
Source: bought it new
Price Paid: $5 for a 6 pack
- Taste good
I have two Cool Mint bars for lunch when backpacking. I add peanut butter from a squeeze tube. Not what I would eat at home for lunch but, when backpacking, they keep me going until dinner. I haven't had any digestive problems from them. And I agree that the Cool Mint Chocolate is the best flavor.
Bought several last year for a trip which I couldn't go on because of family issues. Am storing them in the freezer. Has anyone had experience with freezing them?
Source: bought it new
Price Paid: $1 at Walmart
Where to Buy
You May Like
Historic Range: $1.06-$28.99