Coghlan's Flint Striker

photo: Coghlan's Flint Striker fire starter

Price Current Retail: $5.36
Historic Range: $4.99-$5.36

Looks good, but as supplied does not perform.

Pros

• Larger than most on the market
  • Excellent spark

Cons

• The steel striker as supplied does not work

I bought this Ferro fire steel online from a very reliable survival training centre with their recommendation from students' field use where they said that it was good for over 4,000 strikes.

I was therefor most surprised to find it didn't produce a spark at all with the pressed steel striker supplied. With the Light My Fire striker it was a very different story—massive spark every time.

I filed and ground the Coghlan's striker to give a good 90-degree edge and still nothing. The back of my bush knife was good, as was my pocket knife, but I wanted a striker attached to the flint striker as supplied so I made one from a piece of high-speed steel hacksaw blade. This is perfect and works every time, even after being dunked in water.

Coghlan's need to modify their striker and provide a reliable one with an otherwise great product.

Price Paid: NZ $20

Thanks for sharing your experience with this fire starter, Heath.

Michael -Survival Intuition

Just voted ya one up for your helpful review heathcote. I have had a lot of problems with Coghlan's products over the years. Usually due to their outsourcing production overseas which yields sub par components. Sounds like this time they outsourced the striker and manufactured it from the wrong material since it is not sparking.

Want Two Puffy Jackets from Rab?

Six Moon Designs Minimalist V2 Review