Looks good, but as supplied does not perform. I bought…

Price Paid: NZ $20

Summary

Looks good, but as supplied does not perform.

Pros

• Larger than most on the market
  • Excellent spark

Cons

• The steel striker as supplied does not work

I bought this Ferro fire steel online from a very reliable survival training centre with their recommendation from students' field use where they said that it was good for over 4,000 strikes.

I was therefor most surprised to find it didn't produce a spark at all with the pressed steel striker supplied. With the Light My Fire striker it was a very different story—massive spark every time.

I filed and ground the Coghlan's striker to give a good 90-degree edge and still nothing. The back of my bush knife was good, as was my pocket knife, but I wanted a striker attached to the flint striker as supplied so I made one from a piece of high-speed steel hacksaw blade. This is perfect and works every time, even after being dunked in water.

Coghlan's need to modify their striker and provide a reliable one with an otherwise great product.

Thanks for sharing your experience with this fire starter, Heath.