Coleman 200A Lantern

Price Reviewers Paid: $99.00

I have an old Coleman lantern, a 200 I think, and it works very well. Bright, reliable, easily adjusted, but too big for canoe trips. I also have an Exponent Peak One stove, similar in style to the little 229 lantern. (Same colour, same pump I think.)

The stove is very good. It lights easily, runs for a good long time, puts out lots of heat and is very quiet. So I had high hopes for the lantern.

The first one I got suffered from what other reviewers have pointed out: You can't adjust the brightness, it was either on full or off. So I took it back, exchanged it, and the replacement works as it should, i.e. with a sensitive but perfectly workable adjustment from very dim to full brightness.

It doesn't come with a case or bag though, so I'm making a little waxed canvas sack lined with light rigid plastic and foam to protect it in my pack.

I don't like the Coleman plastic lantern boxes, they're bulky, crappy and expensive. I recommend this lantern, but if you get one that you can't adjust, take it back and exchange it. You should absolutely be able to adjust it down to a slight, almost silent, long-lasting glimmer.  I find I can adjust mine to about 90% of full brightness which makes it run almost silently.