The hydration-ready Kwanzan X40 is made of lightweight 210D silicone-treated nylon diamond ripstop for water repellency and shedding, with heavier 1000D nylon pack-cloth on the bottom for abrasion resistance. The pack features a removable frame sheet and two aluminum stays, ice axe loop, four additional lash points, map pocket, waterproof zippers, and two external side pockets. The Kwanzan X40 comes in men’s and women’s versions, and offers small, medium, and large interchangeable waist belts, gender-specific shoulder straps, and adjustable harness systems to accommodate varying torso lengths.

Capacity 40 liters
Weight 3.12 pounds

Best pack I've ever owned!! I've used this for the…

Source: received it as a personal gift

Summary

Best pack I've ever owned!!

Pros

• Everything mentioned in description

Cons

• After nine years the top zipper finally broke along with the chest buckle. I really beat it up though.

I've used this for the last nine years on dozens of packtrips/hunts. I love the simplicity of the single buckle to close the top and also the center waist adjustments straps...can adjust easily with one hand. The material is waterproof and also heavy duty.

The next thing I really love about this pack is the top drawcord cinch section at the top. It's easy to open and close and the best part is I can store extra stuff if I really need to hold a lot of items. Although It's only 40L with this top expandable section I feel like it expands to 55L. I've stuffed this pack up 1/2 of an elk and then I could strap all my gear on the outside of this pack with the buckles.

Oh if I need to use it as a day pack the sides cinch down and it becomes super small as well.

Experience

Hunting and backpacking trips.

Welcome to Trailspace, George! Thanks for sharing your experience with this Coleman pack. Are you replacing it with something new?

I bought this on clearance at a Coleman Factory Outlet.

Summary

I bought this on clearance at a Coleman Factory Outlet. It has been used twice and I'm very pleased with the performance so far.

Pros

• Nice size

Cons

• None, so far

This is a very nice pack.  I bought this for my daughter and have used it myself. Over two trips, it has about 10 miles on it. It was a little large on my daughter (the waist belt) but worked well with a limited load, probably 12-13 lbs.  I used it on a 7 mile overnighter and it fit great.

The pack weighed about 20-22 lbs and was very comfortable. It is a 40 liter pack and I carried a 40 degree down sleeping bag, ENO DoubleNest hammock, ENO Fast Fly, food, few extra clothes, 1st aid, 2 liter Platypus bladder, rain jacket, rainfly for backpack, Equinox rainfly, and pillow. It was pretty full, but my pillow is bulky and I could have gotten a few more items in the pack. It is typical top load with mesh pockets on both sides and a pocket on the top lid. Everything fit well, felt well, and rode well.

The pack is made from "210D Silicon treated nylon diamond ripstop provides outstanding water repellency and shedding" according to the Coleman website. It is a typical top loading pack, seems to be built well, compresses nicely, and is easy to use.

I am very happy with this backpack after two trips.

I will update in the future.

The Kwanzan X40 has been discontinued.

The Coleman Kwanzan X40 is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen February 23, 2010 at Altrec Outdoors.

Six Moon Designs Silver Shadow Review