Custom Woolen Mills Extra Thick 100% Wool Ankle Socks
Reviewers Paid: $20.00
These wool socks are terrifically warm and cushion-y inside rubber boots or winter boots. They're like a favourite sweater made for your feet! Highly recommended for camping or snow sports of any kind. Farmers and construction workers love these socks.
- 100% wool = warm even when wet
- Tough springy knit lasts better than cheap socks
- Wool stinks less than man-made fibres when sweaty
- Some people are allergic to wool
- $20 a pair is not cheap
These are the best warm winter socks I have found. I give them as gifts and they are welcomed by my spouse, son, and construction workers and farmers living on the Canadian prairies, where winters routinely reach -30° and -40° (same in Celsius and Farenheit degrees).
Custom Woolen Mills makes them. Check them out at http://www.customwoolenmills.com/wool_shop/prairie_wool_socks/extra_thick_socks. While it's fun to wander around their website learning about wool, I'll sum the important stuff up here for you.
- The yarn is tough but not scratchy. These socks don't need to be broken in, and they stay comfy and warm even after lots of wearing and washing.
- These socks don't need to be washed as often as non-wool or half-wool socks. They're still warm even when sweaty and they stink way, way less than commercial non-wool socks. When I take off my boots I hang up my socks to air-dry, then wear them again, especially while camping.
- These socks are almost like handmade socks knitted by an expert, not like cheap work socks. When my husband managed to wear a hole in a sock after two winters, it was easy to mend the hole before it could fray. He likes to wear these socks as slippers.
- Though some people are allergic to wool, about half of those people aren't allergic to the wool used by Custom Woolen Mills because it is washed with gentle soap that doesn't bring up all the rough scratchy scales on the wool fibres. (Big commercial mills use harsh detergents that make the wool fibres rough and scratchy.)
- These socks are made for rather slim people. My husband turns down the top of the sock, but our son is a leaner man and wears his socks pulled up all the way. I am short and plump with fat calves, so I wear the Ankle Socks rather than the regular style.
I'm buying more pairs to give as presents.
Source: bought it new
Price Paid: $20