Dachstein 4 Ply Boiled Wool Alpine Mittens

Q&A

Have a question about soft shell? Get answers in the gear selection forum.

The warmest wool mittens available! Excellent mitten…

Summary

The warmest wool mittens available! Excellent mitten liners for extreme cold. Proven on many mountaineering expeditions for decades.

Pros

• Warmest wool mittens
  • Excellent severe weather insulation
  • Very windproof if worn without shells
  • Dense and thick
  • They cover the wrists

Cons

• $60 a pair

These mittens are legendary. Made in Austria of 100% wool they are knit from 4 ply wool yarn and boiled on a form until they are very dense and thick.

I bought my Dachstein boiled wool mittens in 1978 for $45. In 1979 I was a National Nordic Ski Patroller at the '79 World Cup Nordic games at Lake Placid, N.Y. (the "Pre-Olympics")

Temperatures that week were mostly in the -20° F to -10° F range with the last day being -40° F. I wore my Dachsteins inside a nylon gauntlet mitten shell with leather palms. My hands were always warm, even at -40° F.

I still use these Dachsteins today for bitter cold weather. Durability? YEP!

Thanks for the review, 300winmag. That's great that you've been using these mittens for nearly 40 years!

andrew f.

wore mine this morning. have been my backup liners for winter hiking/climbing for a long time. my current pair are replacements - wore a hole in a thumb of the originals.

Erich

Dachstein mittens and sweaters are available from Bradley Alpinist.

andrew f.

also sweater chalet.

Old Guide

Dachstein socks are also the best, just need extra room in the boots for them.

eatyourroadkill

re; Bradley Alpinist. BEWARE. I placed an order with them for these in the past. They charged my card , never shipped the product, did not respond to email inquiries for 2+ months. I had to threaten them with legal action to get a refund.

Old Guide

Campmor once carried these and/or the socks. I have also seen them, years ago, in the Mountaineer store in Keene Valley NY so it might be possible you can find them state side rather than having to have them shipped from Europe.

Waldy

I definitely agree with 300winmag concerning Dachstein mitts! I've been using my pairs since the early 1970s. Not only are they warm at very sub-zero temperatures and windproof as he says, I have had mine on during very cold snow climbs where the outsides of the mitts were literally frozen with ice built up on them, but my hands were warm and I had no problems handling the ice axe and ropes. I have 3 original pairs (two medium weight and one heavy weigh), and, while I wear light liners under them, I very seldom find it necessary to wear over mitts. These are always in my winter pack.

Waldy, I would love to read a review by you of your Dachstein mitts! It sounds like they have been well used and appreciated.

Old Guide, I also would love to see a review of the Dachstein socks. No one has reviewed them yet on Trailspace.