Dream Hammock ThunderBird

photo: Dream Hammock ThunderBird hammock

Price Reviewers Paid: $275.00

The Thunderbird by Dream Hammocks is at the top of the food chain in the hammock world.
Every aspect of it from type and weight of fabric, to number of layers, to colors, to length, to bug net or over cover, to suspension system is a custom proposition and made to order from your personal spec sheet.

Pros

• Quality of construction. Made in U.S.A.
  • Choice of fabric, color, etc
  • Excellent customer service
  • COMFORT!

Cons

• I wish it had external pockets like the Clarks.

I have owned over half a dozen hammocks over the past 14 years. A couple I liked a lot, a couple I had mixed feelings, a couple I hated. But I have to say that the Thunderbird is the most comfortable of them all.

For starters, Dream Hammocks uses wider material. At 11 foot length the Thunderbird is considerably longer than some hammocks. These two things combined allow an extremely FLAT lay when positioned diagonally in the hammock.

I primarily sleep on my back, occasionally on my side. In the Thunderbird I can lay so flat that sleeping on my stomach is a possibility (even though I rarely do).

Perhaps the coolest thing about the Dream Hammocks is that you can choose exactly what you want and each hammock is made to order. You choose the type of fabric, the weight of the fabric, single or double layer, a wide selection of colors, bug net and/or over cover with choice of whether they may be completely detached, type of suspension, etc.

Another cool thing is that when each hammock is completed it is set up in shop and photographed. The data remains online for record.

Here is a link to my order. You can see specs, order number, etc.

I chose a double layer for two reasons. One, it is stronger. I'm not a big guy and don't need a double layer, but you never know, I might need to outfit a bigger friend someday. Two, although I normally use an under quilt, I have the option of slipping an air mattress between the layers. The air mattress is held in place better than if it were just laid in the hammock.

This pic shows a Therm-a-Rest being inserted between the two layers. Usually when people are first making the transition from being a ground dweller to being a tree hanger they tend to use their old air mattress as bottom insulation until they can save up the scratch to spring for a set of quilts.

My hammock also has a mod for under quilt hooks. This allows the under quilt to attach such that it doesn't slip off and leave you with the old cold shoulder.

UnderGround Quilts is another cottage custom maker who makes arguably the best quilts and tarps on the market. Their under quilts are compatible with the Dream Hammocks and it is obvious the two companies work together, though both are owned by different people and are separate companies. Dream Hammocks provides a link to Underground Quilts on their website and Underground Quilts provides a direct link to Dream Hammocks.  I will soon do a review on Underground Quilts products as I find the time.

Here are a couple of pics of my 7/8 length 20° under quilt by UnderGround Quilts on the Thunderbird by Dream Hammocks:

Here it is with bug net replacing over cover:

On the Thunderbird model both over cover and bug net are detachable. They may be stored away in their own mesh bag which connects in the end peaks of the hammock. I tend to only use the bug net. Most of the time I just leave the over cover at home.

Here is both over cover and bug net in their respective peak bags together with size reference.

My hammock has both an inside pocket and a ridgeline organizer pocket, handy for flashlight, etc.

Price Paid: $275 base price. I had a few optional add-ons.

Very nice review and pics, Cadenza. Thanks for taking the time to share it.

DonP

Nice review Cadenza! I've got one of Dream Hammock's Roaming Gnome. It's a great hammock, but I have to say, one down side is that the zippers are way up in the top of the hammock and this can make them hard to reach. They also meet up there and I've actually zipped my bugnet under my ridgeline because of that. It's a minor point, but when you've got to water the grass at 2 AM and you can't get to the zipper fast enough.... That said, I'm closely eyeballing their newest offering the Sparrow. I also reviewed my custom made UGQ top quilt on here.

g00se

My DangerBird is more comfortable than my bed. The only difference between the 2 models is my bug net and overcover are not detachable. I HIGHLY recommend Dream Hammock.

Cadenza

DonP, .....at first the zipper seemed odd to me but after use I seem to reach it without even thinking about it.

dirtwheels

Thanks for the detailed review, I've sampled several Dream Hammocks and liked them all.