Durston X-Mid 1P

rated 4.5 of 5 stars
photo: Durston X-Mid 1P three-season tent

Price Reviewers Paid: $200.00
Weight typical setup 30 oz (tent, stuff sacks, 6 stakes)

Excellent value in an innovatively designed, lightweight, and well thought-out solo tent by UL hiker Dan Durston.

Pros

• Lightweight weather resistance
  • 2 doors
  • Spacious—especially the interior vestibules
  • Double wall with ventilation
  • Fast setup using two trekking poles
  • Full coverage silpoly fly reduces sag when wet
  • Taped seams

Cons

• Not free-standing
  • Somewhat large, flat area needed for easiest pitch
  • Width of mesh inner tent floor may feel narrow

This solo tent is a good option for folks seeking a good balance of light weight, space, simple/fast pitch, and strength in various conditions. I think the design is very innovative, allowing poles to be placed to the side so that entry/exit is not obstructed by poles.

The floor has a diagonal shape inside a rectangular-based fly. The separate mesh inner clips into the fly at the peaks and the four corners of the fly, allowing it to be pitched separately or remaining clipped so that both inner and fly can be pitched as one.

Before setting out on my first trip with it I set it up in the yard (see photos) to familiarize myself with the shapes (diagonal inner inside the rectangular fly) and sequence of steps to get a good taught pitch. This is pretty straightforward once you get a feel for it. In flat sites it pitches easily but can be more complicated on uneven or irregular sized sites, due to the size of the rectangular fly.

The size of the diagonal floor is 87" long (max.) but fairly narrow in width (28"), compared to many tents, but headroom is good (43"). Floor area is 17sq ft overall. The dimensions of the rectangular fly are 67 x 100".

The total weight of the tent, stakes, and stuff sack is about 28 ounces. Not the lightest tent out there, but a very good option given its excellent functionality and versatility, and relatively low cost ($200).

A larger two-person model is also available.

Experience

I have other single wall and double-wall tents. This is my first trekking pole tent. Used it this season on trips in Washington's Olympics and Cascades.

Thanks for bringing this brand and tent to our attention, alpine1!

Dan Durston BRAND REP

Quick note to say this tent is silpoly, not silnylon, which is why it doesn't sag in the rain. That also makes it UV resistance, lighter in wet conditions (because poly doesn't absorb water) and fast to dry.

1 month ago

Thanks for the clarification, Dan, and welcome to Trailspace!

schifferj

I've spent a bit over 60 days/nights in my X-mid and could not be happier. It's fast to pitch, stays taut when pitched, drys quickly. I really like the big, easily accessed vestibules with outside walls well separated from inner mesh for those nights when condensation is unavoidable. If Drop (the manufacturer of this tent) releases a DCF version I'd be first in line to get one. This has been the only tent I've used since I got it.

Sounds like you could write a thorough review too, schifferj!

Patman

My guess is that this tent would make me mad trying to get the "lay" correct on the chosen terrain. That asymmetrical relationship of the inner to the fly looks troublesome.

Dan Durston BRAND REP

I think if you tried it, you'd find the orientation of the inner isn't particularly hard. There are over 8000 owners out there now, and none of them have noted that as a substantial difficulty.

The diagonal orientation of the inner is what allows the two poles to be located closer to the center, whereas all other rectangle based dual pole tents have the poles along the edges. So here you get the benefits of dual poles (more headroom), in a rectangle (simpler pitch) without the common downsides (mandatory guylines, vertical sidewalls).

alpine1

Patman I agree with Dan. It's not really a factor in use. You can keep the inner clipped to the fly which simplifies the steps involved in pitching and allows a faster process. I have mine set up that way. In the field I start the pitching process by locating a preferred orientation for the floor of the inner (flattest, head uphill, room for fly, etc) while visualizing how I'd stake the fly. Then I just lay the assembly down, and stake out the fly, making sure to get the best rectangle I can. Last is to put the trekking poles in and make a few tweaks to stakes and their lines, and viola... all set.

Patman

Thanks for the replies, this is an intriguing new tent....

schifferj

Go for it Patman. I put in an order for another X-mid with drop today. Here's a video to show how easy the pitch is. Like alpine1 I keep the inner always attached. Here's a video: https://www.google.com/search?q=x-mid+pitching+guide&oq=x-mid+pitching+&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j33i160.8057j0j15&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#kpvalbx=_LyGrX8rNJ4zK-gSKl7vgCQ10

I bought it based on it being lightweight at 28 ounces, ease of setup, and low investment at $200. Thanks, Dan for bringing this to market. It's now my go-to shelter on the one or two backpacking trips I squeeze in a month in mostly Ohio and West Virginia. I'm an avid, but not hardcore, hiker who likes a lightweight pack while enjoying the outdoors.

Pros

• Easy setup
  • Low cost

Cons

• It's not a big roomy tent, but it was not designed to be, so not really a con.

I've backpacked and camped with this tent a dozen times over the last year. It has travelled well for over 300 miles in dry and wet, hot and cold conditions. No leaks, tears, or mildew. No condensation due to the neat vents in the ridgline.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts about this tent, John.

How to Get Outside and Recreate Responsibly this Winter

Hoka TenNine Hike GTX Review

Jetboil MiniMo Cooking System Review

ZJ Sport Epic Medium Wing Paddle Review

Does anyone have plans to build something like this